Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I start in September. I'm taking English Lit, Philosophy and Ethics, Govt and Politics and History. In what ways can I prepare for them?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say just read up on the syllabus, and if you know the books set for English Lit make a head start reading them.

But just enjoy your summer while it lasts! Before you know it you'll be up to your ears in revision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonerism)
    I start in September. I'm taking English Lit, Philosophy and Ethics, Govt and Politics and History. In what ways can I prepare for them?
    I think the first thing to do is to know what exam board your studying for each subject.
    For instance, I'm doing Edexcel Maths in my sixth-form.
    I'm in the same position as you and I want to prepare really well for A-levels because I don't think I did as well in my GCSEs.
    I think next, you should start saving past papers in your documents or look through them.
    Also, find the textbooks that are required for the subject.
    I understand there must be so many, but specifically choose the most popular ones.
    For instance, I'm going to be doing Edexcel History and I'm studying 3 specific eras which the sixth form had chosen (the name of the topics for instance 'victorians' were put on the sixth form website under curriculam)
    And I chose those specific books which edexcel had provided me with.
    Sorry if it sounds gibberish.

I also reserved some books so I can look through them and compare books to see which ones better.

CGP books are great, but as an additional revision source rather than your main source.

So:
    1) Find the curriculum your studying, EXAMPLE: I'll be doing Edexcel History, Unit 1, Topic D5 and D7

2) Find textbooks
    This is the textbook for Edexcel History, Unit 1, Topic D5
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/184690306...I2WEE04AHJ2WZJ

However, I have also found another textbook studying the same topic:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/144415213...I33VU76VW0J6PD

3) Find exam papers and look through them

4) You can reserve books in your local library to compare books as well as look through them and then later buy them

I understand your doing English Lit, so you will need to do some extra reading over the holidays
    Call up your sixth form and ask them what book/novel they study.
    For instance, it could be 'Frankenstein'

hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    You could buy an academic diary so you're ready to keep a track of things you need to do like essay deadlines, exam and term dates, it's something that really helped me

Other than that, enjoy your summer as much as you can and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonerism)
    I had these concerns at the start of AS; I honestly wouldn't worry. I would do a bit of light extra reading over the summer to prepare yourself, but beyond that I'm not sure there's much you can do. E.g. finding out the book you'll be studying for english lit AS and buying it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neverforget88)
    I'd say just read up on the syllabus, and if you know the books set for English Lit make a head start reading them.

But just enjoy your summer while it lasts! Before you know it you'll be up to your ears in revision
    Okay I'll check out the books! Ahh that sucks haha thank-you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    I think the first thing to do is to know what exam board your studying for each subject.
    For instance, I'm doing Edexcel Maths in my sixth-form.
    I'm in the same position as you and I want to prepare really well for A-levels because I don't think I did as well in my GCSEs.
    I think next, you should start saving past papers in your documents or look through them.
    Also, find the textbooks that are required for the subject.
    I understand there must be so many, but specifically choose the most popular ones.
    For instance, I'm going to be doing Edexcel History and I'm studying 3 specific eras which the sixth form had chosen (the name of the topics for instance 'victorians' were put on the sixth form website under curriculam)
    And I chose those specific books which edexcel had provided me with.
    Sorry if it sounds gibberish.

I also reserved some books so I can look through them and compare books to see which ones better.

CGP books are great, but as an additional revision source rather than your main source.

So:
    1) Find the curriculum your studying, EXAMPLE: I'll be doing Edexcel History, Unit 1, Topic D5 and D7

2) Find textbooks
    This is the textbook for Edexcel History, Unit 1, Topic D5
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/184690306...I2WEE04AHJ2WZJ

However, I have also found another textbook studying the same topic:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/144415213...I33VU76VW0J6PD

3) Find exam papers and look through them

4) You can reserve books in your local library to compare books as well as look through them and then later buy them

I understand your doing English Lit, so you will need to do some extra reading over the holidays
    Call up your sixth form and ask them what book/novel they study.
    For instance, it could be 'Frankenstein'

hope I helped
    None of it sounded like gibberish This really has helped! I didn't even think of buying revision guides. I'm going to e-mail the Head of Sixth Form and ask him what exam boards and books etc. I'm in the exact same boat as you too because I really want to do well at A-Level, as I don't think I did as well at GCSE. Thank-you loads by the way and good-luck with everything! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zowidi)
    You could buy an academic diary so you're ready to keep a track of things you need to do like essay deadlines, exam and term dates, it's something that really helped me

Other than that, enjoy your summer as much as you can and good luck!
    I need to do that - I'm awful with deadlines! Thank-you loads, you too + I definitely will X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smile:D)
    I had these concerns at the start of AS; I honestly wouldn't worry. I would do a bit of light extra reading over the summer to prepare yourself, but beyond that I'm not sure there's much you can do. E.g. finding out the book you'll be studying for english lit AS and buying it
    I do worry quite a bit as it's a different sixth form but yeah most people will be in my position! Thank-you x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.