Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    [x]

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a mature student or anything. I'd probably try live nearby for the first year and reconsider after that (if you're thinking about cost). It might just give you more time to feel out new friends and get involved in more of the societies.

Depending on the university they sometimes group mature students together if you ask, so you can avoid most of the crazy 18 year olds that have never been let out. The other option is to look for private housing rooms, as there's probably some around where people have kept a house with someone that's graduated, or new students moving to do post grad courses that want to avoid halls.

Someone my course used to commute. I think she lived in halls first year, and commuted second year (~1.5 hrs each way?). She always seemed a bit tired, and always in a bit of a rush to get away (only one direct train an hour) so she never stuck around for things. It's alright to crash on someone's sofa every now and again if there's any evening events going on, usually.

What sort of course is it? If it's something that doesn't have that many contact hours it will be easier to commute than most of the STEM subjects, for instance. I'm guessing you've had a full-time job in that time though, what was your longest commute and how did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Nymthae: try it for the first year. If you don't like it, you can go back home for subsequent years. Also, many universities have vegetarian/vegan societies, so there may be opportunity to meet like-minded people.

ReputationRep:
    [x]

ReputationRep:
    Halls isn't the party scene it is made out to be...anyone expecting such will be disappointed. You can find parties if you try, but they will rarely be constantly on your doorstep.

Also, let the university know you have a preference for a quite hall, and would prefer to be with older students, they will likely be accomodating for your needs...

ReputationRep:
    Well, you might not be in every day, and if the trains are every 20 minutes then it's not quite so awkward. You sound used to it so I think you know what to expect. I'd probably lean to giving commuting a go, and then moving second year if you feel like it would enhance experience/help. There's a bit more leeway in first year in terms of workload so it's probably the better time to try it and make your money go further.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a mature student, but if you are concerned about money, then I would suggest you commute to University. You will definitely find like-minded people by joining societies and clubs that your University offers, and you will make new friends through them (and also through your course.) You'd probably have to make the extra effort to journey to the events that the society holds (like pub quizes or religious events etc.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.