Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was thinking of starting a Modern History based EPQ in my second year of Sixth form. I'm a little undecided on what topic title I should choose and was wondering if anyone could recommend good titles to base my EPQ on.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    That would depend what areas of modern history you are interest in, or is there a set list?

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking maybe the political or war related side of America or Britain. Other than that, I'm really not sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truckasaurus)
    I was thinking maybe the political or war related side of America or Britain. Other than that, I'm really not sure
    so are you thinking 19th and 20th century?

For Britain the main areas to look at would be
    -How it became a democracy
    -The rise and fall of the Empire
    -Impact of WWII upon politics

America
    -The Revolution (late 18th century)
    -The end of Slavery
    -The Civil War
    -American Imperialism
    -WWI or WWII

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late response. My internet has been down for the last two days :/ I really appreciate the effort you have put into helping me though.

I generally want to keep to the 20th century although I don't mind swaying a little towards the 19th century. I was thinking of doing a question on JFK however I decided that could be a little too broad of a subject to squeeze into topic title.

I guess the The rise and fall of the Empire could be an interesting topic to study.

I basically want a somewhat 'easy' topic where sources won't be a problem to come by as I have quite a few essay based subjects which will occupy most of my time and my EPQ won't priortise over them.

Thanks

(Original post by AndrewGrace)
    so are you thinking 19th and 20th century?

For Britain the main areas to look at would be
    -How it became a democracy
    -The rise and fall of the Empire
    -Impact of WWII upon politics

America
    -The Revolution (late 18th century)
    -The end of Slavery
    -The Civil War
    -American Imperialism
    -WWI or WWII

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late response. My internet has been down for the last two days :/ I really appreciate the effort you have put into helping me though.

I generally want to keep to the 20th century although I don't mind swaying a little towards the 19th century. I was thinking of doing a question on JFK however I decided that could be a little too broad of a subject to squeeze into topic title.

I guess the The rise and fall of the Empire could be an interesting topic to study.

I basically want a somewhat 'easy' topic where sources won't be a problem to come by as I have quite a few essay based subjects which will occupy most of my time and my EPQ won't priortise over them.

Thanks
    Ah that's fine. If you could come up with a narrow, but in-depth title for JFK it would be do-able. So 20th century America is your ideal topic; the key areas then are The Great Depression & the 1930s. The Early Cold-War (1945-53)+ Korea & Vietnam (1953-65) or Cuba. The Late Cold War (1970s+80s) & the period of Detente

The rise and fall of the Empire is an extremely well sourced and interesting topic. However you would probably have to choose either the rise or fall.

The rise would look at the 'why'? element of the growth of the British Empire during the 19th century, e.g. "To What extent was the Industrial Revolution the key factor behind the rise of the Empire in the period 1815-1900"

While the fall would look at the debate surrounding the factors behind the demise of the empire (domestic, nationalist and international) during the 20th century (post-1945 with a small focus on the 1930s) e.g "To what extent was nationalism the key factor behind the demise of the British Empire during the 20th century"

ReputationRep:
    I've been swaying away from the idea of JFK as he seems a little too broad of a subject to come up with a narrow title which accommodates everything I find interesting about him.

However, I've been churning the idea of writing about the Fall of the British Empire all day now and it has started to grow on me. I'm actually fairly confident about choosing that as my topic title.

But basically thank you so much, you have been a great help I've honestly never spoken to anyone online that has been this helpful before.

(one last question - can you recommend any good books covering the fall of the British empire, but if not that is fine ?)

Take care.

(Original post by AndrewGrace)
    Ah that's fine. If you could come up with a narrow, but in-depth title for JFK it would be do-able. So 20th century America is your ideal topic; the key areas then are The Great Depression & the 1930s. The Early Cold-War (1945-53)+ Korea & Vietnam (1953-65) or Cuba. The Late Cold War (1970s+80s) & the period of Detente

The rise and fall of the Empire is an extremely well sourced and interesting topic. However you would probably have to choose either the rise or fall.

The rise would look at the 'why'? element of the growth of the British Empire during the 19th century, e.g. "To What extent was the Industrial Revolution the key factor behind the rise of the Empire in the period 1815-1900"

While the fall would look at the debate surrounding the factors behind the demise of the empire (domestic, nationalist and international) during the 20th century (post-1945 with a small focus on the 1930s) e.g "To what extent was nationalism the key factor behind the demise of the British Empire during the 20th century"

ReputationRep:
    Was going to suggest the current ukrainian crisis, due to its relevance and broad information out there from many accessible sources. The fall of the british empire is very much well studied im sure though, and you'll probably have better luck with that when it comes to finding valid sources and established information.

ReputationRep:
    I've been swaying away from the idea of JFK as he seems a little too broad of a subject to come up with a narrow title which accommodates everything I find interesting about him.

However, I've been churning the idea of writing about the Fall of the British Empire all day now and it has started to grow on me. I'm actually fairly confident about choosing that as my topic title.

But basically thank you so much, you have been a great help I've honestly never spoken to anyone online that has been this helpful before.

(one last question - can you recommend any good books covering the fall of the British empire, but if not that is fine ?)

Take care.
    It's not a problem whatsoever, glad i have been of help! I can recommend a book yes. What i can also do is email you an essay i have written on the topic, if that is of any use?

The book- L. James, The Rise and Fall of the British Empire

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.