Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you get sacked is that the end of your career Watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been sacked here? If so did you get another job quickly? Also want did you say to future employer?

ReputationRep:
    never been sacked 'touch wood' if your employer who is sacking you is reasonable you can ask to be given the choice to resign before he/she officially sacks you. Then just BS to future emolyers how you left to find your perfect job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are asked don't mention it. If you are asked, be honest about the situation. Most employers appreciate things don't work out but try to turn it into a positive like it taught you something that the new employer can now benefit from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCareersGuy)
    Unless you are asked don't mention it. If you are asked, be honest about the situation. Most employers appreciate things don't work out but try to turn it into a positive like it taught you something that the new employer can now benefit from.
    yeah don't listen to this person

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    never been sacked 'touch wood' if your employer who is sacking you is reasonable you can ask to be given the choice to resign before he/she officially sacks you. Then just BS to future emolyers how you left to find your perfect job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha brilliant. Good luck when you need to get a reference from your last employer who sacked you. Or do you just BS that as well?

ReputationRep:
    Haha brilliant. Good luck when you need to get a reference from your last employer who sacked you. Or do you just BS that as well?
    Did you not read what I said? I said you ask to resign before you're sacked if you are allowed to then this indicates your employer isn't an ass. And by law you can't give someone a bad reference look it up before you open your pie hole.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    Did you not read what I said? I said you ask to resign before you're sacked if you are allowed to then this indicates your employer isn't an ass. And by law you can't give someone a bad reference look it up before you open your pie hole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Calm down. I don't take advice from rude people. I'll leave you to it. Best wishes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    And by law you can't give someone a bad reference look it up before you open your pie hole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    https://www.gov.uk/work-reference

This isn't really true, depending on what you mean by bad. You are legally entitled to give someone a negative or unflattering reference as long as it's fair and accurate. If you were a rubbish employee your employer can absolutely say that on a reference. In practice, it is rare to actually say that, and the employer will typically respond with just the dates of your employment. But the silence can speak volumes...

ReputationRep:
    Calm down. I don't take advice from rude people. I'll leave you to it. Best wishes.
    They also happen to be right. And your rude post set the tone for their rude posts. Don't prime someone with your own obnoxious behaviour and then accuse them of being obnoxious, jackass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    They also happen to be right. And your rude post set the tone for their rude posts. Don't prime someone with your own obnoxious behaviour and then accuse them of being obnoxious, jackass.
    You too huh? Okay if you honestly think lying to an employer is a good way to try and get a job I wish you the best of luck. None of my student friends found success that way. Just talking from experience that's all. I'd love to know your advice.

ReputationRep:
    You too huh? Okay if you honestly think lying to an employer is a good way to try and get a job I wish you the best of luck. None of my student friends found success that way. Just talking from experience that's all. I'd love to know your advice.
    That's not lying, re-read the post they made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1001)
    Has anyone been sacked here? If so did you get another job quickly? Also want did you say to future employer?
    Yeh I got sacked and I thought I'd blown it. I didn't ask to resign as I thought it was a bit cheeky since I was in the wrong (got caught with my had in the till). At my next interview I explained I got fired but said it was for "personal" reasons and that was that. Oh yeh and I got the job so all good .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    That's not lying, re-read the post they made.
    "Then just BS to future empolyers how you left to find your perfect job." Am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MackDaddy)
    "Then just BS to future empolyers how you left to find your perfect job." Am I missing something?
    BS doesn't necessarily equate to lying.

If you were sacked from your job the chances are you weren't a good fit. To say that you're looking for a better job where you work more efficiently in a team could easily be described as both truthful and BS.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    And by law you can't give someone a bad reference look it up before you open your pie hole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You look it up! By law a reference has to be honest. Part of being honest is disclosing performance issues and disciplinary measures. Therefore if you fired the employee, you have to say so. So it is perfectly legal to give a terrible reference if you had a terrible employee. You have to be honest and you have to be factual.

ReputationRep:
    You should not be passing on any type if wisdom to anyone untill you learn basic conversational skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.