The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fojodef
yea but africa doesnt really mean anything. especially considering Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and Algeria which I thought were part of Africa were apparently part of the "Arab" Spring.

We do share many things with the arabs, religious and cultural affinity and geographical proximity.
But we are not arabs.
Reply 161
Original post by Al-farhan
We do share many things with the arabs, religious and cultural affinity and geographical proximity.
But we are not arabs.

yea i've noticed this. somalis tend to try and avoid answering. or like they'll say there black in the uk. but then somalis i've met in marseille who chill with north africans who say their arab.

n then i meet somalis who say their neither and that somalis are just a unique anomaly
Salam, Ramadan Kareem. How's your fasting going everyone?
Original post by Al-farhan
True, but for traditionally for us it is a daily kind of thing for breaking fast with other forms of pastry.

During Ramadan or just in general? I only have it during Ramadan, but not everyday as its pretty filling. What about cambuulo?
Original post by fojodef
you know how somalias part of the arab union. and how somalis call actual black people bantu. what are somalis? black or arab?

We are black & African my friend. Anyone who tells you otherwise should probably go educate themselves.
Reply 165
Original post by SophiaLDN
We are black & African my friend. Anyone who tells you otherwise should probably go educate themselves.

Like the somali government who became part of the arab union?

also how come you call black people bantu?
Original post by fojodef
you know how somalias part of the arab union. and how somalis call actual black people bantu. what are somalis? black or arab?

Some are black, some are mixed-race. Doesn't get much more clearer that that :K:
Reply 167
Original post by fojodef
yea i've noticed this. somalis tend to try and avoid answering. or like they'll say there black in the uk. but then somalis i've met in marseille who chill with north africans who say their arab.

n then i meet somalis who say their neither and that somalis are just a unique anomaly

"i meet somalis who say their neither and that somalis are just a unique anomaly"

Yep, that's me and anyone who claims otherwise is *facepalm*. Skin doesn't determine race but genetics do.

However we are Africans and share this continent with the many beautiful people of south, west, north and central Africa. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 168
Original post by SophiaLDN

We are African :biggrin:
And on what basis are we black?
Any evidence? Or is it just because we are dark skin? If so then, the native aboriginals and small minorities of India are all black (by your logic).

Don't tell other people to educate themselves...
Race is not based on "colour of skin". :facepalm:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 169
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Some are black, some are mixed-race. Doesn't get much more clearer that that :K:

Ahahaha, no somalis are arab or black other then reer xamar and bantu respectively.

I hate when people claim we are arab the most. We share more dna with Russians mate then arabs, if you want to play that game. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 170
Original post by fojodef
Like the somali government who became part of the arab union?

also how come you call black people bantu?

Is being black synonymous with being a Bantu?

We are black and closely related to other cu****ic speakers in the horn of Africa.

Bantus are called bantus because we have a significant minority of them in our country and that's what international organisations have called them, we call them something different.

Other minorities are probably descendants from Arabs / Persians such as the barawa people who live in the southern coast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 171
Reply 172
Original post by Umar1
Is being black synonymous with being a Bantu?

We are black and closely related to other cu****ic speakers in the horn of Africa.

Bantus are called bantus because we have a significant minority of them in our country and that's what international organisations have called them, we call them something different.

Other minorities are probably descendants from Arabs / Persians such as the barawa people who live in the southern coast.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well i just noticed you seem to call eveyone who is black bantu. from Kenyans to DRC to South Africans to Nigerians

you say you call them something different. what is it?
Reply 173
Original post by fojodef
well i just noticed you seem to call eveyone who is black bantu. from Kenyans to DRC to South Africans to Nigerians

Jareer - hard hair.
Madow - black.

It's so derogatory ugh. :hand:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 174
Original post by missfats
Jareer - hard hair.
Madow - black.

It's so derogatory ugh. :hand:
Posted from TSR Mobile

i can see why Jareer is maybe derogatory

but what about Madow? is there some time of history to the word.

i know someone told me that the somali word for bastard was to basically call someone the name of this obscure tribe that had a history of incest or something.
Reply 175
Original post by fojodef
i can see why Jareer is maybe derogatory

but what about Madow? is there some time of history to the word.

i know someone told me that the somali word for bastard was to basically call someone the name of this obscure tribe that had a history of incest or something.

Madow is usually used in a negative way. Also, bantus were bought in somali via slavery, so they seen as "inferior" especially by somali elders.

Idk about that! But nevertheless it is a superiority complex.. these somalis posses and they seriously need to get rid of this backward thought process. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missfats
Madow is usually used in a negative way. Also, bantus were bought in somali via slavery, so they seen as "inferior" especially by somali elders.

Idk about that! But nevertheless it is a superiority complex.. these somalis posses and they seriously need to get rid of this backward thought process. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Madow just means black. I don't know who uses it in a derogatory way but it's just stating a fact. For example if you or I used the word madow to describe someone would that be derogatory? I don't think so. Jareer on the other hand is a whole other story though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 177
Original post by themorninglight
Madow just means black. I don't know who uses it in a derogatory way but it's just stating a fact. For example if you or I used the word madow to describe someone would that be derogatory? I don't think so. Jareer on the other hand is a whole other story though

Posted from TSR Mobile

could be like the word paki.
like we SHOULD call pakistanis pakis
Afghanistan = Land of the Afghans
Kazakhstan = Land of the Kazakhs
Kyrgyzstan = Land of the Kyrgyz
Tajikistan = Land of the Tajiks
Turkmenistan = Land of the Turkmen
Uzbekistan = Land of the Uzbeks

Pakistan = Land of the Pakis (aka Land of the Pure)

but so many people call pakistani people pakis in a negative way that they basically had to change the name.
Reply 178
Original post by themorninglight

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well in my experience, madow is some times said in a negative way. The word itself isn't derogatory.

Idk. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 179
Original post by fojodef

By their clan. Like ethnic Somalis, Bantus in Somalia also have tribes and sub clans. Bantu is the official term for them however, they are also called jareers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest