Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying for a student bank account online? HELP! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to apply for a student bank account online, which I am able to do because my place is confirmed and I'm over 18. However, there are a few questions I'm not sure how to answer, can you help? :/

How will you usually pay into your new account?

I've already stated that I will receive money via student loan, wage ( I intend to get a student job) and parental contribution. Currently I have no income so will not be paying into the account until I receive my student loan in Sept/Oct. So what do I put? Salary Tranferred In by Employer/Cheque/Standing Order/Other

Also it asks
    How much do you pay in per month?
    How much do you take out each month?
    How much will you pay into your new account each month?

I'm not sure what to put for these because at the moment I don't pay anything into my account apart from little sums here and there (pocket money, birthday money, odd bits of work I do with parents).

Also for the how much WILL you pay in, I not going to pay anything in until I got uni, where I plan to get a job, and also get money from my student loan. However, at the moment I do not know how much I WILL be putting into my account when I'm at uni :/

Please help?

I would got In-branch to set it up, but I'm not going to have time within the next few days and I want to get it set up before I receive my accommodation room offer, which should be within the next week (I need to allow time for the account to be set up and to receive account details to use)

ReputationRep:
    Your current account will automatically be upgraded to a student account when you get your confirmation of place letter from your university. The bank will send you a letter to say they've done this. You don't need to apply for anything.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't said who you're trying to set it up with but from my experience last year with Santander, go in branch. I know you said you can't in the next few days but I applied online for a santander student account and got rejected because at no point did it ask how much I would be getting in Student finance, it seemed like the second half of the application form wasn't actually for a student account because the questions (as you have posted) were stupid.

Re your last sentence, if you go in branch the account will be set up while you're there and you'll be given the details (acc. no and sort code) that you need to pay a deposit for your accommodation. Also, you've probably got a little while to pay the deposit for your accommodation anyway, I can't remember how long it was for mine but I think it was 2 weeks ish. It won't be needed the same day, if it was there would be people losing accomm places because they didn't check their email quickly enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hrbrox)
    You haven't said who you're trying to set it up with but from my experience last year with Santander, go in branch. I know you said you can't in the next few days but I applied online for a santander student account and got rejected because at no point did it ask how much I would be getting in Student finance, it seemed like the second half of the application form wasn't actually for a student account because the questions (as you have posted) were stupid.

Re your last sentence, if you go in branch the account will be set up while you're there and you'll be given the details (acc. no and sort code) that you need to pay a deposit for your accommodation. Also, you've probably got a little while to pay the deposit for your accommodation anyway, I can't remember how long it was for mine but I think it was 2 weeks ish. It won't be needed the same day, if it was there would be people losing accomm places because they didn't check their email quickly enough!
    Yeh I'm with Santander yeh some of the questions are stupid :/
    True true I'm trying to find time to pop in branch to make an appointment to set an account up. Yes I believe mine is 2 weeks, so it should be fine, but I would feel a lot better the sooner I get my account sorted

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.