Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, guys!

I'm a big fan of great detective stories like those about Sherlock Holmes, Hannibal Lecter, C. Auguste Dupin, Batman(to an extent, due to his body of work being so varied) etc.

Could you perhaps suggest any books that have a similar vibe to any these works? It's hard to pinpoint the exact things that I like in them but I guess it has to do with the characters being intelligent and memorable, and the story itself being intricate and interesting(but that doesn't say much, does it? )

Thank you in advance for any advice

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this is precisely what you're looking for but I really enjoyed the Burnie Gunther series by Philip Kerr (I started with Field Grey I think and I haven't finished them all yet).

They're about a detective (Burnie Gunther) before, during and after WW2 - depending on which one you start with. Definitely worth a try.

EDIT: Here's a website to give you a bit of a better idea: http://berniegunther.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy10663)
    I'm not sure if this is precisely what you're looking for but I really enjoyed the Burnie Gunther series by Philip Kerr (I started with Field Grey I think and I haven't finished them all yet).

They're about a detective (Burnie Gunther) before, during and after WW2 - depending on which one you start with. Definitely worth a try.
    The books from the series have a high rating on Goodreads, I'll definitely check them out! Thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Look through all the old greats - Doyle, Christie, Poe, Chandler, Greene - you'll find a style which you appreciate.

ReputationRep:
    J.K Rowling's two latest books have been part of a detective series. There's 'The Cuckoo's Calling' and 'The Silkworm' and they're both amazing. Plus there's 5 more books in the series she's yet to publish

And detective books I'm going to read soon is the series by Ian Rankin which starts with the book 'Knots and Crosses', you can find them sometimes in charity shops.

ReputationRep:
    Sherlock Holmes.

ReputationRep:
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie is well worth a read.

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard of Stephen King? His latest novel, 'Mr Mercedes' is a great detective novel! It's about a Mercedes that drives out of the mist and kills 8 people in line at a job fair (inspired by that women who ran over a few people at a McDonalds restaurant in America). The detective working on the case couldn't catch the killer, and one year later is contemplating suicide, has nothing to do. Then he gets a letter from the killer, branded Mr Mercedes by the media, saying that he done it, he's glad he done, he loved it, he's never going to do it again. The detective decides to try and track down the killer, who threatens to do something that will kill and maim hundreds of people.

It's a brilliant story and excellent characters. It's also different from. Most detective stories because you know who the killer is, and you alternate between the detective and the killer and see what's going on in their heads.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Find one yourself. That way, you can detect whilst you detect a detection book.

ReputationRep:
    G.K.Chesterton's Father Brown
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Fatherland by Robert Harris offers a very interesting take on the genre and is a very good read :yep:

ReputationRep:
    The Blackhouse by Peter May - first in a trilogy - set in the scottish isles - my mum's suggestion she says its intriguing and keeps you guessing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.