Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As someone who is trying to get 2350cal in 123g protein/383g carbs/49g fats a day, on a £30/week diet, I'm finding the protein side of things difficult.

Meats appear to be far more expensive than protein shakes, for example £2.88 for 28g of protein in ham compared to £0.62 for 28g of protein in a protein shake.

Can protein shakes be substituted entirely for meat or not? And how important is meeting the 123g/day value given by IIFYM?

Also any other particularly good foods for protein intake? Main problem is I have to avoid milk-based foods as much as I can due to it giving me rediculous amounts of acne.

Cheers
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    1-1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight is sufficient, so work that out

Shakes are perfectly good as a supplement but you shouldn't have to rely on them. Meat, things like lentils which are dirt cheap, a 100g amount of pasta has about 10-15g of protein if memory serves. A tin of tuna is cheap and contains 20-25g of protein - don't have them too often due to mercury levels 3-4 a week is enough.

Re-fried beans are good aswell - low calorie, decent in fibre and protein.

So yeah, if your using something like MyFitnessPal you'll see how even non protein rich foods add up quickly.

ReputationRep:
    ham is a pretty expensive way to get protein. Also laden with salt.

Chicken and turkey are generally the cheapest meats protein wise. Fish can be good too.

I usually just scavenge the reduced section of the coop by work at like 4pm and get some cheap meat or fish.

ReputationRep:
    Fish and chicken is what you are wanting. Peanut butter is an okay source. Eggs and egg whites are another excellent source. Greek yogurt aswell is very protein dense. Also just get the cheapest protein powder possible. It may be a little harder mixing and have a little sugar but its better then nothing. 123g's of protein isn't that hard to hit anyway I somehow hit 250-300 most days and I hardly use my power.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.