Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is beauty really that subjective? watch

ReputationRep:
    ​For example, is there a person on earth who the whole world can agree is very attractive? Or is the level of someone's attractiveness something that's controversial

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I think no matter what people try and say, other than the small percent of people the love to be different, we all know what is beautiful/handsome and what is not.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Well yes and no. You have the golden ratio which id objective but there are subjective parts too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Subjective to an extent but a lot of what is seen as attractive is objective.

i.e for guys

low browline
    hooded eyes
    prominent cheekbones
    prominent jawline
    prominent chin

etc. etc. etc.

It is easy to objectify attractive traits

ReputationRep:
    Beauty is subjective, people like other people with different traits or different ethnicity's, in some cultures like tribes, men like women who are fat but in western cultures like ours, women like men who have feminine faces and look like emo goth teenager models. there is no universally attractive person but there is one universal trait that is kind of universal and is considered attractive in nearly all cultures and that is a face that is symmetrical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGameOfScience)
    Beauty is subjective, people like other people with different traits or different ethnicity's, in some cultures like tribes, men like women who are fat but in western cultures like ours, women like men who have feminine faces and look like emo goth teenager models. there is no universally attractive person but there is one universal trait that is kind of universal and is considered attractive in nearly all cultures and that is a face that is symmetrical.
    I've heard of this being perceived as attractive before, but what does it actually mean as most don't have a symmetrical face?

ReputationRep:
    Can you name a celebrity who has a symmetrical face because I have a hard time identifying exactly what it means

ReputationRep:
    Number 2 all day for me but 90% of people would say number 1.

So beauty is "subjective".

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    definitely eye of the beholder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisychain_)
    I've heard of this being perceived as attractive before, but what does it actually mean as most don't have a symmetrical face?
    It means that all your facial features are aligned perfectly or near perfectly like your eyes on same plane and your eyebrows on same plane and your features look the same e.g- both your eyebrows look the same, instead of one eyebrow being chipped in comparison to the other and all of your features suit your face, like not an overly big nose in comparison to the eyes, mouth and eyebrows etc, also the edges of your lips should be directly vertical to your pupils, basically as someone has probably already said in this thread, the golden ratio, also search up the girl with the most symmetrical face and other models, you will see that they have near perfect symmetrical faces, or look at all the faces of the famous or non-famous guys you like and you will see that most have a near symmetrical face.

ReputationRep:
    Last study I read on that suggested it was a myth. 10,000 people were asked to judge the attractiveness of 200 photographs and no correlation was found between facial symmetry and attractiveness ratings.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Even between countries what is beautiful changes so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That_Hijabi)
    Can you name a celebrity who has a symmetrical face because I have a hard time identifying exactly what it means
    Ok i'll list a few:

Brad Pitt
    Robert patterson
    Angelina Jolie (although i dont like her apparently she is said to have a symmetrical face)
    search up the girl with the most symmetrical face her name is Florence Colgate
    Orlando Bloom
    just search up celebrities with facial symmetry and you will find a lot..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That_Hijabi)
    ​For example, is there a person on earth who the whole world can agree is very attractive? Or is the level of someone's attractiveness something that's controversial
    Idk anyone who doesn't find Johnny Depp strangely and effortless handsome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    Last study I read on that suggested it was a myth. 10,000 people were asked to judge the attractiveness of 200 photographs and no correlation was found between facial symmetry and attractiveness ratings.
    LOOOL it really isn't, plus where was that study conducted, what country, also is 10,000 people really representative of the worldwide population. so would you say its a myth based on the views of 10,000 people alone, i mean take a look at all of the women you like, take a look at their faces, you will find that most of them have symmetrical faces, none of them have one eye a little bit lower that the other or one eyebrow thats bushier or more chipped than the other... plus like i said before different cultures find different people attractive were all the photographs of diverse people, or people from their country?

ReputationRep:
    It is subjective. All ethnicities have their different idea of what beauty is. Like what someone above said, having a symmetrical face is nearly always a decider for but other feature are subjective. Like the size of the lips, nose, eyes and skin colour. In south Korea they have a very strict idea of what is considered beautiful. Pale skin, big eyes, rosey cheeks and tinted lips is preferred on females. Also a very small face. Unlike the west, as of current we admire tan skin, plump lips, strong bone structure(in high fashion, although not all men like this). What we see as beauty changes so often. One decade is strong bone structures with wide shoulders. The next it is petite small females.

Recently we have seen a change in society though. Beauty is so varied in the media and darker skinned females are representing a type of beauty that hasn't been acknowledged in the past. I hope this continues.

ReputationRep:
    Ok i'll list a few:

Brad Pitt
    Robert patterson
    Angelina Jolie (although i dont like her apparently she is said to have a symmetrical face)
    search up the girl with the most symmetrical face her name is Florence Colgate
    Orlando Bloom
    just search up celebrities with facial symmetry and you will find a lot..

lmao please. Plain jane. I'm sure there are untested people who have just as symmetrical. This is just advertising blonde.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambrosia_angel)
    darker skinned females are representing a type of beauty that hasn't been acknowledged in the past. I hope this continues.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    LOOOL it really isn't, plus where was that study conducted, what country, also is 10,000 people really representative of the worldwide population. so would you say its a myth based on the views of 10,000 people alone, i mean take a look at all of the women you like, take a look at their faces, you will find that most of them have symmetrical faces, none of them have one eye a little bit lower that the other or one eyebrow thats bushier or more chipped than the other... plus like i said before different cultures find different people attractive were all the photographs of diverse people, or people from their country?
    UK.

and 10,000 is an extremely valid sample size for this kind of study.

The scientific evidence suggests that the hypothesized causation is false. What evidence do you have to the contrary other than your personal opinion?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.