Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Coming out ... as a smoker? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Since going away to college last year I started smoking (I know it's bad and all that). When I've been home at weekends I didn't smoke. Both my parents are anti smoking and I know they wouldn't be impressed about it. Now that I'm home for the Summer I haven't been smoking there but do when I am work or out with mates.

I know it sounds lame - I am 19 - but don't want to get grief from them about it - I am the oldest at home so they will give out to me about being a bad example and all that.

If you smoke did you tell your parents or did they find out? Did you get any grief about it?

ReputationRep:
    Mate don't tell them. You've made it clear you'll get grilled for it so just keep it a secret.

Also you're lame for smoking.

ReputationRep:
    When I smoked, yeah. They weren't happy about it but not a lot they could do. Both my parents are smokers btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leftee)
    Also you're lame for smoking.
    Na he's not, smoking looks cool as ****.

ReputationRep:
    I've never told my parents and I'm 26. It's just too much hassle.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Mine found out via bank statements... got a lot of grief... was in the process of quitting anyway though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    I've never told my parents and I'm 26. It's just too much hassle.
    Am guessing you don't live back at home then do you?

(Original post by natninja)
    Mine found out via bank statements... got a lot of grief... was in the process of quitting anyway though
    Bank statements??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulm94)

Bank statements??
    They go to my home address, parents read one and saw a few payments at the newsagents for £8.35...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulm94)

Hell no, I haven't lived there for 7 years. It's pretty easy to hide.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum spotted a fag packet in my pocket and I was caught out. Didn't get too much grief, but still felt bad about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.