Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Have to write a personal statement draft by friday because my sixth form doesn't like students. However, I've got a fair problem with it:

1. No idea what I want to study in the future
    2. No interests
    3. Nothing extra-curricular

So I'm a bit stuck. Any helpful pieces of advice are very, very welcome.
    Tah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louieee)
    Have to write a personal statement draft by friday because my sixth form doesn't like students. However, I've got a fair problem with it:

1. No idea what I want to study in the future
    2. No interests
    3. Nothing extra-curricular

So I'm a bit stuck. Any helpful pieces of advice are very, very welcome.
    Tah.
    As un-helpfull as this sounds, how do you not know what you want to study? Before you even write a PS draft you need to know the basics: what you want to study and why. Let's be realistic, if you don't think of something, there's no way you'll get a 1st draft done in 2 days.

No one has 'no interests'. There must be something you like doing. Think of the things you like and why. A personal statement is exactly what the name suggests - personal. It's about you. You need to be thinking about the things you enjoy, why, what drives you to succeed in them and only then can you write a draft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    As un-helpfull as this sounds, how do you not know what you want to study? Before you even write a PS draft you need to know the basics: what you want to study and why. Let's be realistic, if you don't think of something, there's no way you'll get a 1st draft done in 2 days.

No one has 'no interests'. There must be something you like doing. Think of the things you like and why. A personal statement is exactly what the name suggests - personal. It's about you. You need to be thinking about the things you enjoy, why, what drives you to succeed in them and only then can you write a draft.
    that's the problem though...I don't know what I'll do at uni (if I decide to go) or what I want as a job or any of that, but we're still required to do the draft or face disciplinary action by the head of sixth form :/

And seriously, I don't have any interests or hobbies or anything. I literally come home and sit on the internet just flicking through random ****, srs

But worst of all, I've got absolutely no ambition or dreams or anything

ReputationRep:
    that's the problem though...I don't know what I'll do at uni (if I decide to go) or what I want as a job or any of that, but we're still required to do the draft or face disciplinary action by the head of sixth form :/

And seriously, I don't have any interests or hobbies or anything. I literally come home and sit on the internet just flicking through random ****, srs

Can't you get your Ma or Pa to write a note or something? That's ridiculous.

What subjects do you study for a star? What are you good at? What does your family do?

And I'm.pretty sure your meant to have the holiday to write your first draft.

ReputationRep:

You will not face disciplinary action; it's just a scare tactic to make people do it. What could they possibly do to you? Your AS exams are over so they can't try to stop any of your exams, and they're not going to kick you out before results are out.

What subjects do you study? You could just write a bunch of lies about wanting to study one of your current subjects at degree level; nobody will know. You'll get away with having done it and you'll have plenty of time left to decide what you actually want. What do you search the internet for? What gives you enjoyment? Do you read, cook, walk, write, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PsychadelicScarf)
    Can't you get your Ma or Pa to write a note or something? That's ridiculous.

What subjects do you study for a star? What are you good at? What does your family do?

And I'm.pretty sure your meant to have the holiday to write your first draft.

Maths, Geography, Biology and Psychology. I was predicted As and Bs, but due to laziness and other personal issues I don't think I've done well at all. I'm not good at anything, really. Pee and em are plasterer/teaching assistant respectively, so they're no use.

And yeah, I thought the same but this year they're being spontaneous by getting us to do it early because they believe in taking away a week from the holidays.

(Original post by Groundearth)
    You will not face disciplinary action; it's just a scare tactic to make people do it. What could they possibly do to you? Your AS exams are over so they can't try to stop any of your exams, and they're not going to kick you out before results are out.

What subjects do you study? You could just write a bunch of lies about wanting to study one of your current subjects at degree level; nobody will know. You'll get away with having done it and you'll have plenty of time left to decide what you actually want. What do you search the internet for? What gives you enjoyment? Do you read, cook, walk, write, etc?
    Maths, Geography, Biology and Psychology.

And I've thought about doing that, but whenever I think about these subjects my mind plays dead and I can't write anything worthwhile.
    I don't search the internet for anything specific, I just browse TSR and StumbleUpon as well as wasting time watching crappy youtube videos. Enjoyment doesn't really happen for me, I live my life in a constant state of 'drifting along'.

So yeah, I'm f***ed really :c

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.