Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What A-Levels should I take for a Chemistry Degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am running out of time to choose my A-Level subjects and I want to make sure I am making the right choice. I love Chemistry, I am predicted to achieve an A* grade for my GCSE and I think it is what I will want to do at University (I like the idea of studying either organic chemistry or energy conservation but my mind is not made up about that yet. Of course, I am doing Chemistry at A-Level. I also think I'm pretty confident in doing Biology and Maths. Biology interests me and if for some reason I was put off Chemistry I'd go into either plant biology or microbiology. I am doing maths because I want to be fully confident in maths throughout my entire scientific study time - which I know will involve a lot of maths. However, I'm a bit stuck for my 4th...I want to do Psychology purely because it sounds SO interesting but I am concerned that Universities would not regard this subject highly - especially for a Chemistry degree. And, even if they did, I am worried that doing a full set of science-based subjects would show a limit to my skills - I am very good at writing but I found English boring. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered Geography?
    This is a common mix for people doing chemistry where people who want to do a science related job in relation to crude oil and/or renewable resources. =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Have you considered Geography?
    This is a common mix for people doing chemistry where people who want to do a science related job in relation to crude oil and/or renewable resources. =)
    I have done Geography at GCSE and I have had so many ups and downs..I have no idea what I will end up with..could literally be anything from a D-A*! I know that Geography is a great compliment and I would love to be able to say I have an A-level qualification in the subject. However..I think my school have picked THE WORST topics possible to study so unfortunately it sounds soooo dull I don't want to run the risk of being bored or struggling, but thank you for your very logical advice

ReputationRep:
    From what I hear a lot of students think Psychology sounds great, but then when it comes down to it they hate all the case studies and such. Try looking at papers and some general info before taking it to make sure the course is what you actually want to do (I can't think of anything worse than taking an A level, thinking you'll love it, and ending up hating it).

What about Physics? It overlaps with chemistry a fair bit, or so I find. It overlaps more than biology does, based on AS level experience, and chemistry provides a nice bridge over all the sciences. However if you don't like Physics, then don't go for it, obviously (but don't let the idea of three sciences+maths put you off, I do it and know several others who do, and it's really no harder than most other subject combinations!).

What other subjects did you take at GCSE and enjoy? Any facilitating subject would be seen nicely by universities, but don't let that discourage you against other courses (e.g psychology as you said). If it's an AS I doubt the universities will care much, and if it's a fourth A2 then it really won't matter too much, or so I'd guess.

Also whilst psychology doesn't seem to be viewed as as facilitating as chemistry or maths, it's much more so than something like dance or media studies (no offence to students of either courses, there's nothing wrong with non-facilitating subjects ).

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at the universities requirements for the specific courses? I think Chemistry and Biology will pretty much open a lot of doors for you regardless, along with maths, so I don't see why they would frown upon psychology as a fourth as it tends to be something along the lines of one specific subject and 2 others so long as they recognise them (I know a lot of universities don't count things like Critical thinking as an AS)

ReputationRep:
    The whole facilitating subjects is quite misleading on TSR - Psychology is fine, a lot of my year do subjects as a part of our A2 which may not be considered facilitating, yet still got offers from very good unis including Oxford!

You could look at Physics. I recall someone saying how some unis may lower your entry requirements by a grade if you have it at A2 (If biology goes tragic)

ReputationRep:
    I did the same subjects and psychology at AS.

I don't really like writing essays but I didn't have to write too many and they weren't particularly long either. It was a nice break from all the demanding subjects.

Physics is also an option if you can be bothered doing 3 sciences and maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    The whole facilitating subjects is quite misleading on TSR - Psychology is fine, a lot of my year do subjects as a part of our A2 which may not be considered facilitating, yet still got offers from very good unis including Oxford!

You could look at Physics. I recall someone saying how some unis may lower your entry requirements by a grade if you have it at A2 (If biology goes tragic)
    Yeah, I applied for chem as my back up and my offer was AAB, but if I did physics it would have been ABB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsbehonest)
    I did the same subjects and psychology at AS.

I don't really like writing essays but I didn't have to write too many and they weren't particularly long either. It was a nice break from all the demanding subjects.

Physics is also an option if you can be bothered doing 3 sciences and maths
    Thats good then Im not a fan of physics, always found it difficult and dull

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)

Glad to hear its seen as worthwhile I hate physics though..It's dull & difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyEcliptic)
    Have you looked at the universities requirements for the specific courses? I think Chemistry and Biology will pretty much open a lot of doors for you regardless, along with maths, so I don't see why they would frown upon psychology as a fourth as it tends to be something along the lines of one specific subject and 2 others so long as they recognise them (I know a lot of universities don't count things like Critical thinking as an AS)
    I have had a browse yes, but for a course as general as Chemistry..they just ask for a high grade in chemistry, one other science, and i think some may want an alevel in maths but others just a good gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okkefac)
    From what I hear a lot of students think Psychology sounds great, but then when it comes down to it they hate all the case studies and such. Try looking at papers and some general info before taking it to make sure the course is what you actually want to do (I can't think of anything worse than taking an A level, thinking you'll love it, and ending up hating it).

What about Physics? It overlaps with chemistry a fair bit, or so I find. It overlaps more than biology does, based on AS level experience, and chemistry provides a nice bridge over all the sciences. However if you don't like Physics, then don't go for it, obviously (but don't let the idea of three sciences+maths put you off, I do it and know several others who do, and it's really no harder than most other subject combinations!).

What other subjects did you take at GCSE and enjoy? Any facilitating subject would be seen nicely by universities, but don't let that discourage you against other courses (e.g psychology as you said). If it's an AS I doubt the universities will care much, and if it's a fourth A2 then it really won't matter too much, or so I'd guess.

Also whilst psychology doesn't seem to be viewed as as facilitating as chemistry or maths, it's much more so than something like dance or media studies (no offence to students of either courses, there's nothing wrong with non-facilitating subjects ).
    Thanks for being so helpful! I'm glad to hear psychology isn't a waste of time. I'd definitely enjoy Psychology more than Physics too!

ReputationRep:
    I think you should wait until you start A Level Chemistry before deciding that you want to pursue it as a degree because it's a really big jump from GCSEs.
    Most universities only care that you have Chemistry and one other from: Biology, Physics, Maths, Further Maths.
    Humanities (History or Geography) and Languages (French, Spanish etc) or English Lit should be your other subject/s.
    I do Bio, Chem, French and English Lit but I'm dropping Lit. I could do a degree in Chemistry because I have Chemistry and Biology.
    Just as long as you don't do General Studies or Critical Thinking, unis generally don't care as long as you've got two sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    I think you should wait until you start A Level Chemistry before deciding that you want to pursue it as a degree because it's a really big jump from GCSEs.
    Most universities only care that you have Chemistry and one other from: Biology, Physics, Maths, Further Maths.
    Humanities (History or Geography) and Languages (French, Spanish etc) or English Lit should be your other subject/s.
    I do Bio, Chem, French and English Lit but I'm dropping Lit. I could do a degree in Chemistry because I have Chemistry and Biology.
    Just as long as you don't do General Studies or Critical Thinking, unis generally don't care as long as you've got two sciences.
    Okay thank you. My school is forced to do general studies for the first year but we still get 4 options. I could do spanish..but it seems pointless and boring although im good at it. I could do English lang for the same reason but again, i found it boring. Only other thing is Geography but the course at my school sounds like hell /:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabby2805)
    Okay thank you. My school is forced to do general studies for the first year but we still get 4 options. I could do spanish..but it seems pointless and boring although im good at it. I could do English lang for the same reason but again, i found it boring. Only other thing is Geography but the course at my school sounds like hell /:
    I really enjoyed studying a Language at AS because it gave me a break after Bio and Chem lessons. I have to admit that you probably won't find the AS year very enjoyable, since you just learn about 10-15 general topics like fashion, food etc and more grammatical techniques. A2 Languages are more fun, since half the curriculum is based on (French / Spanish / whatever language) literature or cinema. English Lit drags on a lot and is really time consuming which is why I'm dropping it, I absolutely hated studying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabby2805)
    Thanks for being so helpful! I'm glad to hear psychology isn't a waste of time. I'd definitely enjoy Psychology more than Physics too!
    I doubt there are many A levels which are a 'waste', psychology isn't going to be a waste. But again as I said make sure it's what you want to study, as I know plenty of people who end up really disliking how it's taught/how the exams are, although whether that's just at my school or in general I don't know.

If you like psychology then go for it, plenty of other people do those exact four options (psych, maths, bio and chem are the four most popular subjects at my school) so I doubt they're considered a bad setup.

ReputationRep:
    Maths + Chemistry is enough. You sound like you want to do biology whcih does have some overlap.

I would just choose something you enjoy as a 4th ,it doesn't really matter.

Physics might be more useful in that it has overlaps with chemistry as well but you don;t need to do it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.