Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

25 still living at home with a family I hate and a useless degree.. Watch

I feel like there is no escape. So many interviews, yet no one wants to employ me...
    My family are starting to get intolerant of my aversion to Islam.. I fall out with a lot of them all the time and fight rabidly with them...
    I have a useless degree that one of them forced me onto; I no longer speak with him anymore. I have a father who is abusive and another sibling who is threatening to call the police on me..
    I am so close to being unemployed.. I have a ten hour per week job that is going nowhere..
    What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up will be a good start

If you're applying for a lot of jobs and are receiving interviews but failing there. You need find out where you are going wrong and try improve on that. You'll find a job someday and be able to save up and hopefully move out to live your own life how you want to.

It'll be hard but worth it. Keep your chin up

(Original post by Keoje)
    Don't give up will be a good start

If you're applying for a lot of jobs and are receiving interviews but failing there. You need find out where you are going wrong and try improve on that. You'll find a job someday and be able to save up and hopefully move out to live your own life how you want to.

It'll be hard but worth it. Keep your chin up
    My brother said that I would never achieve anything in life..
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel like there is no escape. So many interviews, yet no one wants to employ me...
    My family are starting to get intolerant of my aversion to Islam.. I fall out with a lot of them all the time and fight rabidly with them...
    I have a useless degree that one of them forced me onto; I no longer speak with him anymore. I have a father who is abusive and another sibling who is threatening to call the police on me..
    I am so close to being unemployed.. I have a ten hour per week job that is going nowhere..
    What can I do?
    I know the struggle with jobs, my boyfriend and I are just starting to go through it now after graduating. Try broadening your horizons and applying to things you would have never considered. For example I have been looking at jobs.ac.uk and been looking at going into university administration and they just ask for a degree not a specific one. If you're only getting 10 hours a week with your work maybe see if you can do some work experience too in a field you're interested in. What is your degree in as many jobs don't ask for a specific one And ignore your brother. Something will come along and you'll be able to move out and live your life how you want

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter what he says or thinks. It is your life and you can do what you want to with it. You don't have to prove yourself to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    It's sad that he is putting you down when he should be there to support you. Many people have heard this kind of thing and some choose to listen to it and others choose to ignore it. Do not let such petty comments dictate your life to you.

Maybe you should read up on what makes a good interview. Perhaps speak to people who have successfully been through the process. Think about potential questions that may come up and how you might answer them. Practice your answers out loud (even if it does feel silly, it can help you to remember).

You must have developed some skills over your degree OP: analysis, communication, working with others, working to deadlines, organisation, structure etc. Maybe you could revise your CV and see which areas you can add to and improve.

The key thing is confidence. People can detect an under-confident person a mile off and they will not employ a person that they do not believe is confident. Personally, I'm not always a particularly confident person. I just feign confidence when I need to. The way I do it is to picture somebody that I know who IS confident and then attempt to emulate them (this may not work for everyone but it does for me when I need to give presentations or speak in front of people etc).

If I may make a recommendation, I would suggest to read How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. It's a great book for everyone.

Good Luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.