Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking both English language AND English literature as two separate a levels Watch

ReputationRep:
    My sister is in year 11 and her current choices for sixth form are as follows:
    English Literature
    English Language
    History
    Sociology OR Anthropology (she hasn't decided yet)

She wants to do either English, history or a social-science based degree at an RG uni (she doesn't want to try for Oxbridge). Whilst she's predicted good results (A*-B) in maths and sciences, they don't really interest her, so she's more of an 'artsy' person.

From what I can see her A-levels are fine, but I was just wondering if RG unis would have an issue with her taking both English A levels separately. I have a friend who does both and she says they are totally different and whilst they COMPLEMENT eachother, they do not OVERLAP, and develop different skills. I know some unis have issues with 'breadth of study' (e.g. Edinburgh) and such, and don't like similar A-levels e.g. business and economics, maths and further maths etc. Having looked at the specs for business and econ I can see how they overlap, but I don't see how the English A levels overlap AT ALL, given that their subject content are completely different.

Anyway, long story short, can anybody tell me if unis will have an issue with taking both English A-levels (even if she takes both on for A2).

Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jambojim97)

Thanks xx
    Its fine taking them both. I found it was a popular couple of subjects to take at my school.

ReputationRep:
    English Lit is more respected and requires a B for you to be able to study it at A Levels, whereas Language usually only requires a C (at GCSE).
    I found that English Lit dragged on a lot and I absolutely hated it, but I would recommend choosing Lit instead of Language, and then picking up another social science e.g Psychology, Sociology, Politics etc. There's more options like this available if you go to a college instead of a sixth form. I just think that two English subjects would get boring, and it's a waste because you could be doing another subject - also, you could just do Lit and Lang as one subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    English Lit is more respected and requires a B for you to be able to study it at A Levels, whereas Language usually only requires a C (at GCSE).
    I found that English Lit dragged on a lot and I absolutely hated it, but I would recommend choosing Lit instead of Language, and then picking up another social science e.g Psychology, Sociology, Politics etc. There's more options like this available if you go to a college instead of a sixth form. I just think that two English subjects would get boring, and it's a waste because you could be doing another subject - also, you could just do Lit and Lang as one subject?
    Thing is though, lit and lang as just one subject is rather like lit but with reference to linguistic devices. Lang on its own, however, has completely different subject content to lit, particularly at A2 when you look at language development and childhood language acquisition (AQA B spec). She's been to taster days at her college, and loves them both.

What we want to know, however, is whether unis will have an issue with someone taking both. I'm talking Russell Group and other top unis (e.g. Bristol, York, Sheffield, Bath, Surrey, Warwick etc.), not Oxbridge.

From what I can see, theres not overlap, but I want to hear what the real experts have to say

ReputationRep:
    Thing is though, lit and lang as just one subject is rather like lit but with reference to linguistic devices. Lang on its own, however, has completely different subject content to lit, particularly at A2 when you look at language development and childhood language acquisition (AQA B spec). She's been to taster days at her college, and loves them both.

What we want to know, however, is whether unis will have an issue with someone taking both. I'm talking Russell Group and other top unis (e.g. Bristol, York, Sheffield, Bath, Surrey, Warwick etc.), not Oxbridge.

From what I can see, theres not overlap, but I want to hear what the real experts have to say
    Hi

When I enrolled at college 2 years ago I was told lit was viewed better by unis. I too wanted to do both english courses but I also wanted to do four other subjects - couldn't decide which to drop so went down the combined english route. Language would have suited me better in the end cos of my career/uni course choice(speech therapy) but I hadn't made my mind up at that time! Cant say I regret my choices cos I have enjoyed all my subjects (also did psychology sociology and RS).

But getting to your point dont think taking both english courses would be a problem - especially with her choice of course at uni. Did not come across any unis that stated that both english courses was an issue. In some courses then one or the other may be preferred but if you do both then you are covered surely.

Good luck to you sister.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst it is well know that literature is the better respected A level taking both will not hold you back at all, I took both and currently hold an firm offer for Warwick. If anything i found that taking the separate a levels benefit each other, with some aspects crossing over, arguably this only cements knowledge and in my case has hopefully led to better grades. Take what you want and whatever you know you will enjoy, as half the time this only fuels you to want to do better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My sister is in year 11 and her current choices for sixth form are as follows:
    English Literature
    English Language...
    I'm also considering doing English Literature and Language separately for A Levels, with the view to studying at an RG university. I was concerned with how universities would view it, so my college contacted Oxford and Cambridge, and both confirmed that they didn't mind. Cambridge went on to say that the two courses were different enough to benefit me if I were to take English to degree level, and they said that their view was shared by the other Russell Groups. If your sister has any specific universities in mind, it would be well worth her contacting them, either on her own or through her sixth form college, as they may have specific course requirements, or may offer tips or advice for dealing with two English subjects.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I do both and received all 5 offers from RG universities! I don't think she needs to worry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated.

She's made her final decision based on your feedback and is doing:
    English literature
    English language
    History
    Sociology

Thanks again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.