The Student Room Group

2015 Physics Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Have any of you had your interviews from Imperial?

I just had a physics interview and found it really difficult- was asked both academic and PS- related questions and this person did really grill me into going into specifics which I couldn't answer- the academic part was similar to the Cambridge ones I've seen on their website. Not sure if it was supposed to be like that or maybe I was just being stupid :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 381
Original post by Planckton
My friend has an interview at Exeter- I'm assuming that's as standard! She got a straight offer from Lancaster though

Yeah it seems to be I've seen a few say the same now. Do you know what the offer was? I think A*AA is the standard
Original post by BP_Tranquility

I just had a physics interview and found it really difficult- was asked both academic and PS- related questions and this person did really grill me into going into specifics which I couldn't answer- the academic part was similar to the Cambridge ones I've seen on their website. Not sure if it was supposed to be like that or maybe I was just being stupid :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imperial haven't even replied to me yet :frown:

Original post by wmavfc
Yeah it seems to be I've seen a few say the same now. Do you know what the offer was? I think A*AA is the standard

For Lancaster? AAA, but unconditional if she firms it! She's predicted A*AAA and got AAAAB last year (dropped the B)
Still waiting for a reference now, then it can go!
Reply 384

For Lancaster? AAA, but unconditional if she firms it! She's predicted A*AAA and got AAAAB last year (dropped the B)

Wow, I can't compete with 4 really - that's probably why I've got to have an interview! I think I'd love an unconditional offer
Original post by wmavfc
Wow, I can't compete with 4 really - that's probably why I've got to have an interview! I think I'd love an unconditional offer

My bad, you're just going for straight physics right? She applied for Maths and Physics so that may be why!!
Reply 386
My bad, you're just going for straight physics right? She applied for Maths and Physics so that may be why!!

Yeah I applied for MPhys, which is probably over subscribed or something. Cheers!!
Where have you been all this time?:redface: This thread is fantastic!

I'm from Spain and I'm doing the IB but my school didn't offer Maths HL or Physics so... I'm taking the national qualifications and Physics and Maths exam and the SAT Subject Tests. I also did my Extended Essay on Physics, but I still feel at a disadvantage and I'm scared they won't accept me because of my unconventional grades...

I'm interested in everything physics related (except the more mechanical stuff) so: quantum mechanics, astrophysics, particle physics, dark matter, medical physics, acoustics, relativity, electromagnetism... but I also love arts and humanities so I'm looking for a University with a flexible course structure.

If you know about any universities that do that (apart form the Physics and Philosophy courses, which also sound very appealing) please please please let me know!!

CONGRATULATIONS by the way to everybody that received offers!! I'm so happy for you!! I still haven't finished my PS and can't decide which Unis I will apply to besides St Andrews and Edinburgh, maybe Sussex and York? I wanted Durham but it's a fool's errand... :unsure:
Anyone received an offer from Sussex?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aah I've not noticed any foundation applicants here aside from myself. :eek:

Original post by marinanutshell
Where have you been all this time?:redface: This thread is fantastic!

I'm from Spain and I'm doing the IB but my school didn't offer Maths HL or Physics so... I'm taking the national qualifications and Physics and Maths exam and the SAT Subject Tests. I also did my Extended Essay on Physics, but I still feel at a disadvantage and I'm scared they won't accept me because of my unconventional grades...

I'm interested in everything physics related (except the more mechanical stuff) so: quantum mechanics, astrophysics, particle physics, dark matter, medical physics, acoustics, relativity, electromagnetism... but I also love arts and humanities so I'm looking for a University with a flexible course structure.

If you know about any universities that do that (apart form the Physics and Philosophy courses, which also sound very appealing) please please please let me know!!

CONGRATULATIONS by the way to everybody that received offers!! I'm so happy for you!! I still haven't finished my PS and can't decide which Unis I will apply to besides St Andrews and Edinburgh, maybe Sussex and York? I wanted Durham but it's a fool's errand... :unsure:

Keele seem to offer a HUGE list of physics and "insert any random other subject" including humanities; maybe check them out?
Original post by Ki Yung Na
Aah I've not noticed any foundation applicants here aside from myself. :eek:

Keele seem to offer a HUGE list of physics and "insert any random other subject" including humanities; maybe check them out?

Hi!
I've investigated Keele and this option but I don't know if the second subject would take "credit space" from the main subject and if that would affect my degree title in the sense that I wouldn't have like the full BSc in Physics or something. I'll have to investigate it further, thanks!

Well, I don't know much about the foundation year although I know Southampton offers one that is supposed to be quite good.
Just got ABB from Sussex if I firm, and I've already got an A
Sooooo I just need BB in FM and Physics!!
WOOP WOOP 🎉🎉🎊🎉🎊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DanRigg96#
Just got ABB from Sussex if I firm, and I've already got an A
Sooooo I just need BB in FM and Physics!!
WOOP WOOP ������������������������������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!!!! :biggrin:
-I'm from the ridiculously humid Singapore
-I don't take A's...but it's my final year in my diploma reading Aerospace Engineering, minor in Physics
-Astro, relativity, particle, dark matter, quantum mechs..anything physics!
-Durham, Exeter (rejected), Sheffield
-Physics & Astrophysics BSci/MPhy

I have been waiting for the offers for 4 weeks now....As Exeter have rejected my application due to "not meeting subject requirements", I am actually pretty scared the other two might do the same because I don't take A's. :s-smilie::s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 394
Anyone received an offer from Sussex?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, MPhys Theoretical Physics, they want AAA. But I was early entry so they've had my application for quite a while. Also their IT admissions system was being upgraded or something and theyve not been able to put offers on UCAS until recently :smile:
Original post by AsaJai
Yeah, MPhys Theoretical Physics, they want AAA. But I was early entry so they've had my application for quite a while. Also their IT admissions system was being upgraded or something and theyve not been able to put offers on UCAS until recently :smile:

Did they give you the ABB if you firm option?
Thought I'd start a thread where us Physics buddies can share about Universities and courses we're looking at and interested in etc!
A few questions to get started:
-Where you live?
-A Levels chosen and predicted/hopeful AS and A2 grades?
-Branches of physics you're interested in?
-Universities you're looking at/favouring?
-Specific course(s) you're planning on applying for?

Hey everyone :smile:
I live near coventry, Warwickshire.
I got AAAC last year in maths, further maths, physics and French respectively. Dropped French and I am predicted A*A*A* this year.
I mostly enjoy/read around quantum physics, particle physics and theoretical physics in general.
I've applied for Cambridge (physical natural sciences), Manchester, Glasgow, Bristol and Edinburgh (maths and physics) and applied for second yr entry at Glasgow and Edinburgh
So far got offers from Glasgow (AAA) and Bristol (AAB) and got my Manchester interview this Tuesday.

Anybody else got offers/interviews at these places? What exam boards are you all on for maths/phys. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw don't say that, interviews are always designed to be super testing. I'm sure you did better than you think!
Original post by Tibbz2
haha, well... My requirments are probably just the obvious and usual ones :tongue:

Nice city/location if possible, good department, and a focus on astronomy or astrophysics if possible :smile:

Manchester or Bristol!!!
Original post by PhysGeek
I'm really happy:
One offer from Birmingham (A*AA)
3 interviews from imperial, manchester and exeter

And still waiting on Oxford. Xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey when's your interview for Manchester? Mine is Tuesday :smile:
Are any of you going to be 'preparing' for Oxbridge interviews in any way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just revising as material and rereading all the books on my PS :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending