Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...unless you absolutely 100% definitely want to be a teacher and cannot imagine yourself doing any other job for the rest of your life.

As somebody who went into a PGCE without feeling that way, I felt it had to be said. Don't do a PGCE unless is is all you want.

ReputationRep:
    Agree to an extent but not in terms of the PGCE being that hard - I found it tough at times but overall I enjoyed it and never felt too stressed like some make out. It's more the fact that if your heart isn't really in teaching you will get found out within a few years and you won't be able to cope with all the nonsense that comes with it.

Personally I don't think you know you want to be a teacher until you start teaching, I know I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you do a PGCE if you don't wanna teach?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    I think it's more about being certain teaching is what you want. I've known a number of people who've gone into teaching only to quit within a year because the day-to-day life isn't what they expected. Teaching people is only one task of a teacher!

ReputationRep:
    Some go into it for the bursary money you will get.
    Some also do it because they honestly don't know what to do after they've graduated.
    Some do it because they want a career change but don't know what else to do with the qualifications they have.

Some do it because they think it will be a cushy job - which it is if you don't do the job properly.

ReputationRep:
    One person on our course did it as he wanted to emigrate to Australia. His company was hit hard in 2008 and business dried up.

He was short several points to go to Aus, and needed a teaching qualification to do the same job in Australia.

So he went ahead and did it got the points and boarded an airplane about a month later that was 2012.

He still hasn't come back.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.