The Student Room Group

What were you nervous about before starting uni?

.. And how did you deal with it once you started?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The workload mainly.

I made a revision timetable and tried my hardest to rigidly stick to it. There were times when I failed to stick to it but most of the time I persevered through it. I went from college to uni and the difference of the amount of the work you get, shocked me. It took a while to adjust to but I got used to it in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Yasmin25
The workload mainly.

I made a revision timetable and tried my hardest to rigidly stick to it. There were times when I failed to stick to it but most of the time I persevered through it. I went from college to uni and the difference of the amount of the work you get, shocked me. It took a while to adjust to but I got used to it in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you study? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by That_Hijabi
What do you study? :smile:

Bsc (hons) Biology and before that at college it was HNC Biomedical Sciences :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Yasmin25
Bsc (hons) Biology and before that at college it was HNC Biomedical Sciences :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right :smile:

Were you worried about making friends?
I'm a little shy when meeting new people so I'm just hoping I don't turn into an awkward turtle and hide in my room during fresher's >.<
Reply 5

I'm a little shy when meeting new people so I'm just hoping I don't turn into an awkward turtle and hide in my room during fresher's >.<

Nah personally I wasn't too nervous about making new friends but I was little on edge the first time I met everyone but I think a certain degree of anxiety is normal for everyone during their first few weeks at uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

What uni are you planning on going to? :tongue: I'll be starting this september inshaallah (well...if I get the grades :unimpressed: )
Reply 7
All the women flocking towards me. Had plenty of sleepless nights thinking how I would cope. :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Saraa.xx
What uni are you planning on going to? :tongue: I'll be starting this september inshaallah (well...if I get the grades :unimpressed: )

Queen Mary's :biggrin: you?
Reply 9
Original post by RomnCoton
All the women flocking towards me. Had plenty of sleepless nights thinking how I would cope. :frown:

Love how you edited this 10 mins after you posted the original one xD

So did any women flock towards you? :tongue:
Love how you edited this 10 mins after you posted the original one xD

So did any women flock towards you? :tongue:

Plenty. Had loads of sex that my penis almost dropped off.

Oh and I am now the proud father of 26 children. I'm only 22; wear a johnny every time is my advice!
Reply 11
Queen Mary's :biggrin: you?

Kingsssssssss :dance:
Original post by Saraa.xx
Kingsssssssss :dance:

I'd have gone there too but they don't do undergrad psychology (BSc) :frown: but i'm happy with queen mary so can't complain

Good luck! :biggrin: what will you be studying?
Reply 13
I'd have gone there too but they don't do undergrad psychology (BSc) :frown: but i'm happy with queen mary so can't complain

Good luck! :biggrin: what will you be studying?

Tbh that's kind of ridiculous for such a well respected uni not to run an undergrad psychology course :confused: QM is great though, regret not applying to it now :tongue:
I'll be studying biomed :biggrin: Thank you, good luck to you too! :h:
The possibility that I may not have the intellectual capability to acquire a first in all my first-year modules.
I was nervous about:

- Making new friends at university. I had come from a private school, and was nervous that the types of people I'd meet at university might be extremely different from what I was used to at school, and that we wouldn't be able to relate to each other.

- Missing my old groups of friends, while they all made new friends at their universities and forgot about me.

- London expenses. I didn't want to ask my parents for money, but had pretty much no experience of budgeting. So in the first few weeks of university I was literally saving every single penny, worrying that I'd end up bankrupt.

- The possibility that I'd work very hard to do well on my degree, only to find myself unemployed at the end of it. I'd gone against my family's advice to do Medicine, which leads to a pretty much guaranteed well paying, stable career. So I was under a lot of pressure to make sure that I equalled/bettered that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16

Which city are you from? I'm guessing you'll be living in halls? Have fun at QMUL! I live really close to QMUL, it's a heavily South Asian populated area LOL
Original post by AnharM
Which city are you from? I'm guessing you'll be living in halls? Have fun at QMUL! I live really close to QMUL, it's a heavily South Asian populated area LOL

No, i live 45 min from qmul by tube so not too far :smile:

Yeah, I noticed that but it doesn't bother me as i love south Asian people :biggrin:
Reply 18
No, i live 45 min from qmul by tube so not too far :smile:

Yeah, I noticed that but it doesn't bother me as i love south Asian people :biggrin:

Ohhh LOL, you said ''room'', so I automatically thought you meant halls. What area are you from? And what ethnic background do you come from? Naturally, I'm assuming you're South Asian since you're wearing a hijab :L
Original post by AnharM
Ohhh LOL, you said ''room'', so I automatically thought you meant halls. What area are you from? And what ethnic background do you come from? Naturally, I'm assuming you're South Asian since you're wearing a hijab :L

North west london (near wembley) . I'm somali with some arab origins :smile:

You don't need to be south Asian to wear hijab you know :/ its cumpulsory in Islam. It's not a cultural thing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest