Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Work don't pay me- how can I be more assertive? Watch

Basically I work for a very well known supermarket, and they aren't good at paying staff for their overtime. This month I had to take some shifts off sick, so I wasn't paid for them. Therefore, I worked some overtime to get the money back, however when I got my payslip they took the sick money away from me just fine....but didn't pay me for overtime.

This is not the first time it's happened, and a lot of the time I have let it go as I have trouble being assertive and telling my manager/demanding the money I feel really awkward about it. What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    Tell them that you've noticed the pay isn't right and if they would be able to help. If you ask rather than 'demand' i'm sure the conversation will be more comfortable. I'd say just go for it (the longer you leave it, the more difficult it will become to pluck up the courage) - i'm sure they will have dealt with similar issues loads of times..

ReputationRep:
    Since you work in a supermarket, all the shift hours are done out of house, so they would hire a payroll company to do it, and usually it's the fault of them. So when you speak to you manager, tell him/ her and say "there may have been some confusion with my pay, who do I speak to about it" and just say it in a calm way. It wouldn't be their fault, so don't be worried about bringing it up with them, as they wouldn't take offence. This happens a lot in shops with different shift patterns, so you're not the only one this has happened to.

If you're really struggling, maybe ask a few friends at work if this has happened to them, and you can both go together, or ask advice on how they dealt with it.

ReputationRep:
    You really shouldn't take that kind of BS, your managers may think you are weak and scrubbing the hours you work off to save money on labour. Grow some balls and stick up for yourself.

Just think to yourself. Why should you work for nothing.

Or it could be as the other guy said in which case you should take her advice.

ReputationRep:
    it may be payroll or your manager may be forgetting to submit your overtime, just mention to your manager that you really need that money and ask if they can put it through again

if it doesn't come through in your next pay then tell your manager they need to ensure you receive your money within X days or you will have to take it further, if you still don't receive your money contact citizens advice or acas, you are legally entitled to claim for overtime and you have 3 months to submit a complaint about it if you are not being paid overtime

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.