Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are there actually ANY women on The Student Room? ( Tab article) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Future ''Guardian'' columnist writes:

However, hidden amongst these banal questionnaires are polls which make the feminist within me shudder just a little.

It seems the type of people who sit in their darkened rooms desperately seeking human interaction seem to have failed to read any feminist literature. Or ever actually speak to a woman. Or speak to any real human being for that matter.
    A classic Student Room response from someone who clearly doesn’t get out much. And is most likely a virgin. Here we can clearly see how an attempt at chivalry rapidly descends into sexual harassment.

http://tab.co.uk/2014/06/25/are-ther...-student-room/

But who was misandry?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow that article is just wow
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Lovely and yes I guess it's true:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sena5)
    Lovely and yes I guess it's true:yep:
    What's true?
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Den Haag)
    What's true?
    How the person explains how people post on TSR

ReputationRep:
    If I knew it got you featured in the Tab I'd have spent more time in those kinds of threads :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Those quotes seem fairly tame for this place.

Also I have to take issue with this:

Sadly, far from the feminist uprising which could have arisen from this question, the site reveals the misogynistic views typically of those who spend their time hiding behind a computer screen all day, rather than actually interacting with anyone of the female sex.
    We try. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one getting sick of "feminists" and their petty first world problems

ReputationRep:
    Lolled at bertstare being in the article :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I LOL'd when I saw Bertstare's avatar. But seriously, both men and women get objectified. It is a bit over-simplistic when some feminists only focus on how women seem to be graded on their looks, and forget that men are objectified too (shows like Ellen are good examples). Either all objectification is bad or it isn't.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I've met at least twenty of them, the idea that there are no female users is just deluded to be honest. It's around half of the user base in statistics.

In all honesty some people who are a bit out of touch with our generation and below genuinely still struggle with the idea that everyone is online.

The article picks and chooses the most controversial members who are known as dodgy posters. I'm just going to say it; THIS IS WHY WE NEED NEG REP. No article like this would have been viable before because all of those users would be on a few red gems and even someone with a primitive understanding of the site would have known to ignore them. Really can't wait for the next reputation system to come in and fix things now.

Also, the writer, Corrie Gold, is clearly just a buzz word feminist who says it to boost her search engine optimisation. Because lets look at things objectively, what self respecting gender equality identifying writer would allow their work to be published alongside such gems as This:

Or write articles focused around finding the right man for you :facepalm:

However, hidden amongst these banal questionnaires are polls which make the feminist within me shudder just a little.

Join us Corrie.... Join ussss....
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    you should probably right to the government
    TAB journalism at its finest.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    IF this person is typical of Guardian journalists (which I doubt) no wonder it's so crap. Well, that's feminazism at its best, I guess they completely avoided the society sub-forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsertWittyName)
    I LOL'd when I saw Bertstare's avatar. But seriously, both men and women get objectified. It is a bit over-simplistic when some feminists only focus on how women seem to be graded on their looks, and forget that men are objectified too (shows like Ellen are good examples). Either all objectification is bad or it isn't.
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Lolled at bertstare being in the article :rofl:
    Bert was the highlight.

And yes, how many hot guy threads have women made on here? Not to mention women are even harsher at judging both men and women's looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsertWittyName)
    Objectification of men is not nearly as common as the objectification of women though. I'm not denying that it happens, but to claim they deserve equal attention is wrong.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Objectification of men is not nearly as common as the objectification of women though. I'm not denying that it happens, but to claim they deserve equal attention is wrong.
    The problem with feminism and MRAs is that when they both have the same issue they tackle them independently as two separate issues instead of working together and tackling them as one and the same. objectification is objectification.

ReputationRep:
    That was actually hilarious. Some of those screenshot posts were disturbing though.

ReputationRep:
    There was that one girl here, but the level of attention she sought exceeded the mass of the universe x the speed of light squared. So they had to ban her before she collapsed into a singularity attracting all attention within the event horizon and destroying TSR.

Astronomers at CalTech call it "supermassive black hole TL1"
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    That article made me laugh. Can she really be serious or is she just writing ridiculous things because that's what sells?

To address her argument, we all know feminism is a contentious issue on TSR - but she doesn't frame it that way, she frames it as if everyone is from the one camp. She's obviously cherry-picked the evidence to construct that article, which is deceptive.

But what I think was really outrageous were the kinds of things she was saying. For example in her very first point she says about Awesome-o that he's "most likely a virgin." That's a pretty low blow (and a ridiculous claim to make based on what he said) but like hell she'd say the same thing about a woman. Throughout her whole article she's reinforcing the very kind of gender-based social judgements she presumably wants to do away with.

Just makes her come across as totally moronic.

Congrats to bertstare and ipoop for their shout outs, lol.

ReputationRep:
    A feminist wanting to become a journalist. That's as bad as it gets really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.