Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi is bio,chem,maths and sociology a good combination if i want to do a chemical engineering degree, also opinions and ideas on the degree and a levels would be helpful thanks

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I would replace either sociology with physics if you want to do chem engineering. Doing maths, bio, chem and physics will keep your options open for pretty much every other science degree as well.

Source: http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flopsybunnybell)
    Tbh I would replace either sociology with physics if you want to do chem engineering. Doing maths, bio, chem and physics will keep your options open for pretty much every other science degree as well.

Source: http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf
    yes but i feel that doing all three science would be too much for me

ReputationRep:
    then you would be fine to just do three sciences. only some universities require physics as well as maths and chem, so you're good to go.
    if there are any specific universities that you're already interested in, just check their entry requirements, because you don't want to set your heart on somewhere then realise they require physics.

ReputationRep:
    then you would be fine to just do three sciences. only some universities require physics as well as maths and chem, so you're good to go.
    if there are any specific universities that you're already interested in, just check their entry requirements, because you don't want to set your heart on somewhere then realise they require physics.
    What bout geology instead of sociology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monisj1)
    What bout geology instead of sociology
    That would definetly work well. My main piece of advice would just be to do the subjects you enjoy the most.

ReputationRep:
    That would definetly work well. My main piece of advice would just be to do the subjects you enjoy the most.
    Thanks and what are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to do with engineering, I'm afraid.
    Latin, english literature, history and german.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to do with engineering, I'm afraid.
    Latin, english literature, history and german.
    Oh i was goig to do history at a level but i dnt knw

ReputationRep:
    Chemical Engineering...

You'd want Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Chemical Engineering...

Tell me your joking id die if i did FM and physics

ReputationRep:
    Oh i was goig to do history at a level but i dnt knw
    If you're going to be studying mainly science subjects, it might be nice for you to have an arts subject in there to add breadth. Just do what feels right.

Chemical Engineering...

I'm pretty sure that even at Cambridge FM is only listed as 'desirable'. But it would be useful to take.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=flopsybunnybell;48456375]If you're going to be studying mainly science subjects, it might be nice for you to have an arts subject in there to add breadth. Just do what feels right.

Yes i enjoyed history at gcse aswell but isnt it really difficult

ReputationRep:
    Yes i enjoyed history at gcse aswell but isnt it really difficult
    It does get harder at A-level, but if you are genuinely passionate about it as a subject, you'll manage with the step up.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me your joking id die if i did FM and physics
    I don't think Chem Eng will be for you Tbh.

If you're going to be studying mainly science subjects, it might be nice for you to have an arts subject in there to add breadth. Just do what feels right.

I'm pretty sure that even at Cambridge FM is only listed as 'desirable'. But it would be useful to take.
    Only? Desirable is quite important.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Chem Eng will be for you Tbh.

Only? Desirable is quite important.

Universities that i have researched dont have physics as a main requirement

ReputationRep:
    Universities that i have researched dont have physics as a main requirement
    In the first year everyone will be brought up to speed so in the later years it won't matter. However, it will make you a competetive applicant if you do have it, even just to AS. At Oxford, the only reason it's not required is because not all schools offer it. If your school does offer it, the admissions tutors will ask you why you haven't taken it. I'd recommend teaching yourself at least FP1 - that is really easy, especially with the help of Youtube.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    In the first year everyone will be brought up to speed so in the later years it won't matter. However, it will make you a competetive applicant if you do have it, even just to AS. At Oxford, the only reason it's not required is because not all schools offer it. If your school does offer it, the admissions tutors will ask you why you haven't taken it. I'd recommend teaching yourself at least FP1 - that is really easy, especially with the help of Youtube.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm yes il consider that thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Hi is bio,chem,maths and sociology a good combination if i want to do a chemical engineering degree, also opinions and ideas on the degree and a levels would be helpful thanks
    As long as you have decent a-levels in maths and chemistry, and one other A-level, that will be enough to get you into pretty much any university (except Oxford, Cambridge, possibly London Imperial). The reality is that when most universities look at your application, even 'prestigious' ones, they will make you offer, say AAA including maths and chemistry, and as long as you meet that offer you will get a place, they don't really care what your other 2 choices are.
    I would say that Chemical engineering is a very good degree to do, the UK as a shortage of engineers, and along with law and medical students, chemical engineers are one of the highest earning graduates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonzza_81)
    As long as you have decent a-levels in maths and chemistry, and one other A-level, that will be enough to get you into pretty much any university (except Oxford, Cambridge, possibly London Imperial). The reality is that when most universities look at your application, even 'prestigious' ones, they will make you offer, say AAA including maths and chemistry, and as long as you meet that offer you will get a place, they don't really care what your other 2 choices are.
    I would say that Chemical engineering is a very good degree to do, the UK as a shortage of engineers, and along with law and medical students, chemical engineers are one of the highest earning graduates.

thank you very much for that information i was thinking newcastle university would be good as they have high employability rates and theres an year in industry with it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.