The Student Room Group

Reclaiming tax after 2 consecutive work placements

Hi all,

I'm slightly confused with how I should go about this:
I am currently on 1 work placement that's from April until July. When this comes to an end I will be starting my next placement until September. I will be paying tax through each placement and I'm wanting to claim it back..

I understand I'm supposed to fill out a P45 to claim my tax back, but am I supposed to do this for each placement or wait until September when I go back to uni and stop earning?

Thanks
Original post by wills93
Hi all,

I'm slightly confused with how I should go about this:
I am currently on 1 work placement that's from April until July. When this comes to an end I will be starting my next placement until September. I will be paying tax through each placement and I'm wanting to claim it back..

I understand I'm supposed to fill out a P45 to claim my tax back, but am I supposed to do this for each placement or wait until September when I go back to uni and stop earning?

Thanks

Form P45 is one that your employer should issue to you when you leave their employment, not one for you to fill out.

From your post it sounds like you're comfortable that your total income for the year will be below the standard personal allowance (£10,000), but you'll be earning at a rate that would mean that you'd exceed this if you worked for the full year at the same income level - is this correct? If you're at all unsure, let me know what income you expect from each job and what tax code is shown on your payslips and I can check this for you.

In any case, assuming that you do pay income tax that you are eligible to reclaim based on your total income for the year, the form that you'd need to complete to reclaim any overpayment, after you stop working, would be an R50. Here's a link: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=1CVVZ8XMWiI&formId=764

In advance of completing the form R50, to make things as smooth as possible you should ensure that you pass the form P45 that you receive from your first employer when you leave them to your second employer when you start with them - this should ensure continuity of your tax treatment.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending