The Student Room Group

Will people take me seriously? "Chav?"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Clowns? As in actual clowns? Not really my thing.:redface:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25j868n&s=5#.U7UfL5RdVzo
Original post by Maharaniii
Please don't listen. Imagine you could be first chav to graduate Uni or something :smile: lol

Maybe it would be quite cool to 'shock' people.:rolleyes:
Maybe it would be quite cool to 'shock' people.:rolleyes:

Don't get offended. If you feel insecure and want to change you then fine. I trying to get you to love and own who you are. And it's not about shock, it's more respect from people who otherwise wouldn't jus because you're "chav."
But if you want to go on shopping spree and pose be my guest :smile:
Don't get offended. If you feel insecure and want to change you then fine. I trying to get you to love and own who you are. And it's not about shock, it's more respect from people who otherwise wouldn't jus because you're "chav."

I'm not offended haha, I just know some people probably will be shocked. Yeah that's true, thank you. I guess if they wouldn't respect me because of how I look, why waste my time on them?
I'm not offended haha, I just know some people probably will be shocked. Yeah that's true, thank you. I guess if they wouldn't respect me because of how I look, why waste my time on them?

I'm just saying I was only brown girl in my secondary school after a sudden move to the sticks from the bricks lol and I suffered a lot of racism and like no one wanted to talk to me as well I had many opportunity to try and fit in and at first I did but wen I saw I would have to change me like stop dressing how I wanna dress or talk how I wanna talk I got very confused and angry. I also wear my bangles Idk if you see Indian girls wear lots of jewellery and things and they were jangling lol and a boy who looked like Justin Bieber with the bangs looked at me like this :mad: and so I pulled them up my arm so they won't make noise :rolleyes: I just don't want to sit and dell someone to do that as well. But do what works for you. :smile:
Original post by Petulia
I always see chavs ruining a nice dress or skirt by wearing high tops :frown:
Anyway the main thing is that you're polite. When I first started college, I sat next to this girl who looked like a chav in my English class and I was actually intimidated, but then she started talking to me and I realised that she was actually really shy and polite and now I feel bad for judging her straight away.

Thank you. What did the girl look like? I'm the same really, I'm polite and quite quiet in class.
Who gives a flying ****? Male perspective here so its a bit different but during my A levels I went to school looking like a chav virtually every day. It didn't matter - the teachers soon figured out that I was the smartest or close to it in every class. Now at Cambridge and still dress like a chav in every lecture and supervision because chav clothes are comfortable.
I'm just saying I was only brown girl in my secondary school after a sudden move to the sticks from the bricks lol and I suffered a lot of racism and like no one wanted to talk to me as well I had many opportunity to try and fit in and at first I did but wen I saw I would have to change me like stop dressing how I wanna dress or talk how I wanna talk I got very confused and angry. I also wear my bangles Idk if you see Indian girls wear lots of jewellery and things and they were jangling lol and a boy who looked like Justin Bieber with the bangs looked at me like this :mad: and so I pulled them up my arm so they won't make noise :rolleyes: I just don't want to sit and dell someone to do that as well. But do what works for you. :smile:

Thank you. It's good to embrace your culture:smile:
As you get older you're going to realise that you can have all the personal style you want but it doesn't stop people from judging you on it.

You can wear what you want when you want of course but you will learn where and when to wear what. Stuff that has more importance and bearing on your life/future should probably be met with a more modest dress sense, more professional.

College is fine I imagine no fuss and there are some characters on uni campuses (at least in first year) but pretty much everywhere else you want to dress to make a good impression. Since you're who you are on the inside it matters not how you look on the outside if it helps ease your way through your career and life.

So I guess what I want to say is dress how you want but also keep a mind on when and where you would be better served by dressing a bit differently. Not so much because YOU need to change who you are (it's not that easy) but because other people will react and judge based on that, especially in less casual settings.
Original post by stefl14
Who gives a flying ****? Male perspective here so its a bit different but during my A levels I went to school looking like a chav virtually every day. It didn't matter - the teachers soon figured out that I was the smartest or close to it in every class. Now at Cambridge and still dress like a chav in every lecture and supervision because chav clothes are comfortable.

What's your idea of chav clothes?
What's your idea of chav clothes?

Nike airmax, cotton jogging bottoms with a hoodie of the same colour.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
As you get older you're going to realise that you can have all the personal style you want but it doesn't stop people from judging you on it.

You can wear what you want when you want of course but you will learn where and when to wear what. Stuff that has more importance and bearing on your life/future should probably be met with a more modest dress sense, more professional.

College is fine I imagine no fuss and there are some characters on uni campuses (at least in first year) but pretty much everywhere else you want to dress to make a good impression. Since you're who you are on the inside it matters not how you look on the outside if it helps ease your way through your career and life.

So I guess what I want to say is dress how you want but also keep a mind on when and where you would be better served by dressing a bit differently. Not so much because YOU need to change who you are (it's not that easy) but because other people will react and judge based on that, especially in less casual settings.

Thank you. I understand what you mean.:smile:
Thank you:smile: I don't think I look intimidating at all because I'm short and look quite young:colondollar: Why no high tops? Aren't Converse high tops?

As you are short and young-looking, then will want some things that stand out and mark out your unique qualities, so don't worry about having some unusual apparel so long as it isn't too way out. This is college we're talking about, where the unusual can often be the norm. :biggrin:
People like you kinda intimidate me a little. Now don't get me wrong, you're clearly a lovely person and that's not what I find intimidating. :wink:

But it's like, you know exactly how to dress yourself up, you know what make-up to wear, what clothes to wear and I can guarantee you look really pretty all the time.

I on the other hand, I'm clueless about it all, I can do foundation and eyeliner but that's about it!

I'm not ugly, but being around people like this always make me feel ugly!!

But that said, don't change just because you're going to uni, you want people to get to know the real you, not a fake you!
Thank you. What did the girl look like? I'm the same really, I'm polite and quite quiet in class.

Huge messy teased hair, big hoop earrings, small handbag and high tops (this is how she usually looks) but she's actually really shy. If she hadn't spoken to me though I'd still think she's a chav just because of how she presents herself.
Reply 37
Okay, I'm going to college soon and I'm worried that people aren't going to take me seriously. I love wearing barbie pink lips, handbags, cornrows, big earrings etc. I'm doing history, law etc and I just think people might judge and stereotype me..I shouldn't care but urgh.:s-smilie:

I'm worried that my teachers are going to get a bad first impression of me, even though I'm a kind and hard working person. Perhaps thinking "what is she doing here?". :confused: I'm not going to change myself, I just want to brace myself. I don't wear tube tops, mini skirts, heels or anything like that. (nothing wrong with that though).

If it's any consolation, I used to dress like a chav during my first few months at college. My hair was also pretty awful to say the least. I used to wear this huge purple bomber jacket that wouldn't fit me, and jeans that are loose...thank **** I changed my look over time. Now I think I have one of the best fashion sense.

My mate in college didn't like chavs at all, so it was really weird how we just hit it off. We had a common interest in football and the love for maths, so we used to hang all the time. He changed my fashion sense over time, my haircut as well got much better, and I generally changed into a much better person after that one single year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not gonna lie, don't like the way you dress, but I'll be willing to bet my life people think the same about me. I curl my bleach blond hair and wear a full smokey eye everyday, have tattoos, wear combat boots 24/7, wear mostly black and love leather and fringes. I'm guessing a girl like you will think that's weird as ****e, but I like it. Wear whatever the hell you want to, and when you get stereotyped, prove them wrong and STILL dress the way you want to.
Original post by stefl14
Nike airmax, cotton jogging bottoms with a hoodie of the same colour.

Ah, sounds very comfy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending