The Student Room Group

Problem with GRE subject test registration in the UK

Hi all,

Can anyone register for a GRE subject test in the UK? The registration for 2014-15 GRE subject test was open on the 1st of July 2015. Yesterday, I signed into my GRE account to register for a GRE Chemistry test and I found that the only option available to do this test in the UK is at Katherine & King's College in London on April 18, 2015. This is too late for everyone who wants to apply to a graduate school in the US this year as the application deadlines of most US universities are in December, 2014.

I am not sure if this is my own fault for not being able to search for other test centres in the UK. When I searched on the ETS website, I selected England in a Country/Location box as there is no United Kingdom option for me to choose from and the result only showed one test centre.

Do you guys have the same problem?
Original post by Horaris
Hi all,

Can anyone register for a GRE subject test in the UK? The registration for 2014-15 GRE subject test was open on the 1st of July 2015. Yesterday, I signed into my GRE account to register for a GRE Chemistry test and I found that the only option available to do this test in the UK is at Katherine & King's College in London on April 18, 2015. This is too late for everyone who wants to apply to a graduate school in the US this year as the application deadlines of most US universities are in December, 2014.

I am not sure if this is my own fault for not being able to search for other test centres in the UK. When I searched on the ETS website, I selected England in a Country/Location box as there is no United Kingdom option for me to choose from and the result only showed one test centre.

Do you guys have the same problem?

I don't know anything about this year's tests, but can tell you that I had to travel to Canterbury to sit the subject test in English in 2011. It was in September, I think, and all subject tests were offered on that date. So, maybe Canterbury is another test center again? It makes no sense for them not to offer it before the end of the year 2014, they'd miss everyone applying this year...so, I feel like there must be another test date.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by madamemerle
I don't know anything about this year's tests, but can tell you that I had to travel to Canterbury to sit the subject test in English in 2011. It was in September, I think, and all subject tests were offered on that date. So, maybe Canterbury is another test center again? It makes no sense for them not to offer it before the end of the year 2014, they'd miss everyone applying this year...so, I feel like there must be another test date.

Thanks for the info. Do you know how many test centres there were in the past?
Reply 3
Hi, I am also struggling to find a decent date, as I want to do an Economics MSc in the Netherlands so I need to take a general GRE test. All the dates I have found are for this year October-December, and none for 2015. I'd rather do mine next year, as the deadlines are in April. Do you know whether they have opened the 2015 dates? I really hope they haven't all filled up! Also the website it absolute rubbish! They had Birmingham in the drop down list, after I'd clicked on it, it was nowhere to be seen! I'd rather not travel far either as the tests start at either 8:30am or 12:30pm!!
Original post by apple1993
Hi, I am also struggling to find a decent date, as I want to do an Economics MSc in the Netherlands so I need to take a general GRE test. All the dates I have found are for this year October-December, and none for 2015. I'd rather do mine next year, as the deadlines are in April. Do you know whether they have opened the 2015 dates? I really hope they haven't all filled up! Also the website it absolute rubbish! They had Birmingham in the drop down list, after I'd clicked on it, it was nowhere to be seen! I'd rather not travel far either as the tests start at either 8:30am or 12:30pm!!

Are you maybe mixing up the acceptance deadline with the application deadline? If you're applying for Fall 2015, it's usual for application deadlines to be Dec, Jan, Feb...and you'll need to have your GRE sent by the application deadline,which means sitting it six weeks beforehand.

Maybe you're applying to a program with rolling admissions or a Spring Semester start? In which case, ignore me. But just in case you're not - do double check those dates.

Oh, well never mind: realized I blanked out the "Netherlands" part of your post! The GRE is set up for the U.S. system, so the dates work best for their application system...you'll probably just have to do it earlier than you'd ideally like to...it's really not hard, so I wouldn't worry too much. (Never heard of a non U.S. institution requiring the GRE before!).
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending