Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does this sound dodgy? Or am I just being impatient? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I was looking for a room in a house about may time, and one day my mate rang me up and told me that one of the lads from his house was moving out, and so there'd be a spare room free if I wanted it. So, obviously I took it.

So I got in contact with the letting agents, they sent me an application form, I filled it in, parents filled it in and I sent it off at the very end of may.

It's not the 3rd of July and I haven't heard a single thing back from them, baring in mind i've also paid a £120 admin fee for them to do the reference checks and what not.

Now am I just being impatient or is this a really long lead time for this kind of work to be done? I rang them the other day and they said that they're currently sorting my application, but why do I get the feeling that I don't believe them?

I move in on the 18th September, if it's now July I haven't got long left to pay this deposit really?

Someone help! Is this a really long time for an application to be processed or am I just being paranoid about it?

Cheers!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I suppose if you say, you sent it off the end of May, maybe it was a bit slow arriving, so they didn't get it until the first week of June. Maybe there's been some form of delay, or they've got a lot to process, and lots of people take time off around this time of year. It's a bit rubbish, but not totally unreasonable. However, I do feel when you rang them, they should have been able to give you some idea of when everything would be sorted by.

I think I would ring them up again, ask if they are having any issues with your application, and ask when they will be finished processing it. I would remind them that if they reject you, you need time to look for another room before September.

I think it's likely that as you aren't moving in until September, they aren't seeing you as a priority. They may be giving priority to non-student tenants who want to move ASAP, or at least within the month.

I do think you have plenty of time to pay the deposit, the worry is that they take a long time to sort things out and then decide to reject you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.