Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, due to a number of reasons, I don't get into my five universities I out down for nursing. So I am going back into social work, but there's a catch I have previously applied for social work at particular universities before and got declined and I don't want feel like they have seen my personal statement again but with a few extra bits. How can I make it more unique than others?

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveteddy14)
    Hey all, due to a number of reasons, I don't get into my five universities I out down for nursing. So I am going back into social work, but there's a catch I have previously applied for social work at particular universities before and got declined and I don't want feel like they have seen my personal statement again but with a few extra bits. How can I make it more unique than others?

Nightworld1066
    With all due respect, if you have been turned down for all places for two courses, you need to look a bit more closely into what is wrong with your application. Have you had feedback from the places you applied for? Work experience is very often a deal breaker on these courses. You need to check this out.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If you've been rejected from 5 universities on two separate occasions, this sounds like there are some serious issues with your application. Did you get feedback from the universities as to why you were rejected? Were you missing work experience or another key requirement and have now rectified this?

It sounds like you will really need to strengthen your application in order to get a place. Can you organise some new work experience? Also, a lot of social work courses seem to talk about needing particular personal qualities and skills which are considered important for social work. Does your personal statement show these, and can you think of more recent examples?

To be honest, universities do see lots of personal statements every year, and lots of them probably have similarities, so admissions staff won't immediately think that they've seen the statement before, and rejected you. However, there were clearly major issues with your previous application, so it might be good to rewrite your personal statement from scratch in order to rectify this.

ReputationRep:
    It was nothing to do with the application it's self it was due to mental health reasons I lost motivation to do lots of prep work for the maths tests and I made stupid errors on the actual test and failed. I really deserved that big fat F at the end of it. (F=fail)

I even drew a big F in bright pen to remind myself how thick and stupid I am.

Nightworld1066
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Ok, try to calm down- it seems like you've had a lot of issues over the past few years, and it may be that you aren't quite ready for a very stressful uni course (as both nursing and social work would be). Universities don't like to set people up to fail, so you might need to explain how you've no overcome these issues.

Hopefully you can get some help with the maths and pass this time. However, are you 100% sure this is the only issue with your application?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's right it's only the maths but luckily for social work I don't need the admissions test for maths. But I am definitely a lot better mentally

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    Hey I would just like to say that failing a maths test because of mental health issues doesn't make you thick or stupid, do you have any counselling in place or anything? Sounds like you might benefit from working on your self esteem.

Best of luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even get 3/20 so I had no chance

Nightworld1066

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.