Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tendulkar vs Lara? watch

• View Poll Results: Who is better in your opinion?
    Lara
    80.00%
    Tendulkar
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    A good discussion on these players being discussed on SSN. Bob Willis saying Lara was fractionally better whilst David Fulton was in Tendulkar side.

So who is better in your opinion and who is the greatest Batsman of all time?

For me: The greatest batsman is Donald Bradman followed by Vivian Richards imo.

ReputationRep:
    If you want someone chasing 300 runs on the last day, you want Lara. Every other day, you want Tendulkar.

ReputationRep:
    Give me sangakarra

I think sometimes we overrate players of the past but bradman had an average 40 runs better than anyone else. Clear enough to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tendulkar.

Bradman is probably the best of all time, given he averaged near 100. That's way ahead of his peers (and everyone else in general). While guys like Lara, Tendulkar etc. had guys who averaged around or even more than them while playing.

Best player of recent times by some distance his Kallis though. Batsman near as good (or could be argued as good by some) as Tendulkar, Lara, Sangakaara, Ponting etc., good bowler, and brilliant fielder (and most likely the best slip fielder of his time). Combined, he's far ahead of the pack. Feel he's a little underrated though because he's South African (SA having a smaller fan base), and people focusing more on one thing i.e. the best batsman, the best fielder, rather than taking the whole package into account.

ReputationRep:
    taking away my bias as a Pakistan fan, its pretty much 50/50.

Brian Lara is someone who I watched very closely as a kid and he was amazing. It could be said that he carried West Indies cricket on his back for a large part of his career. He had great timing and was a run machine.

Sachin on the other hand was a class act, even as a Pakistan fan you have to say he was an amazing player. it was unfortunate that due to political differences Waqar and Wasim could not bowl to Sachin when all 3 were in their primes Sachin was all-around a good player and played with some top players like Ganguly, Dravid, Sehwag etc. You can't pick one thing about Sachin which stands out, because he's all round game was solid. He was more or less good at everything.

Both average near enough the same thing for Tests and ODI, The only thing is, I believe it is unfair to compare stats because I think if you put Lara around Dravid, Ganguly etc his stats would be so much better. Lara's highest score is 400 no whilst Sachin has got 248 no, Which tips the balance towards Lara. But then again Sachin played longer with the same high standard while Lara took a early retirement.

I would probably edge it towards Sachin overall, but its by a thin margin.

Now, as a Pakistan Biased fan: The best player ever is:

But my fav player overall is:

But Overall Top 5 batsman would be:

1 - Sachin
    2 - Lara
    3 - Ponting
    4- Kallis
    5 - Dravid / Mohd Yousef

ReputationRep:
    I've always loved Lara and his technique. On the other hand, I was never a big fan of Sachin. I'm not denying his greatness or anything... It's just that he never quite appealed to me in a way that Lara did, so I have Lara over Sachin 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)

1 - Sachin
    2 - Lara
    3 - Ponting
    4- Kallis
    5 - Dravid / Mohd Yousef
    I prefer Inzi bhai over Yusuf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    I prefer Inzi bhai over Yusuf.
    Haha, The only reason I picked Yousef was because of him breaking Sir Viv Richards Record Something all the modern greats have not done so he deserves to be mentioned,

Inzamam was a team player, obv every player wants to score a big 100 but Inzi put Pakistan above his own stats which may suggest why his stats are not as good as Yousef nor Lara. His average however is at 49 whilst Sachin is at 53, Ponting at 51 so in terms of run scoring he is defo up there

Also he was a Aloo, his weight probably took a lot of runs out of him If he had the frame of Younis or Yousef he would have gone on to convert his 50s into Hundreds. He's got loads of 50s btw lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)

Also he was a Aloo, his weight probably took a lot of runs out of him If he had the frame of Younis or Yousef he would have gone on to convert his 50s into Hundreds. He's got loads of 50s btw lol
    Lol, it was always funny seeing him run. He was a great player. A shame he retired too early. I thought he could have played for another couple of years.

ReputationRep:
    Sachin Tendulkar <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    My vote would go to Lara, but only just.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    My vote would go to Lara, but only just.
    I am on the fence tbh, I loved how Lara could play the same ball in multiple ways( you could see that through his masterclass he had on SS) and the sheer concentration he had whilst accumulating as many runs. I do think that West Indies would have struggled a lot than India, if they weren't in the team and Lara didn't have much support a lot of the time, tbf I really like Chanderpaul too. On the other hand, Tendulkar consistently play on all pitches and was probably the better technical player whilst Lara had a better style/grace imo for spectators. I thought I might as well add a poll if you want to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    taking away my bias as a Pakistan fan, its pretty much 50/50.

Brian Lara is someone who I watched very closely as a kid and he was amazing. It could be said that he carried West Indies cricket on his back for a large part of his career. He had great timing and was a run machine.

Sachin on the other hand was a class act, even as a Pakistan fan you have to say he was an amazing player. it was unfortunate that due to political differences Waqar and Wasim could not bowl to Sachin when all 3 were in their primes Sachin was all-around a good player and played with some top players like Ganguly, Dravid, Sehwag etc. You can't pick one thing about Sachin which stands out, because he's all round game was solid. He was more or less good at everything.

Both average near enough the same thing for Tests and ODI, The only thing is, I believe it is unfair to compare stats because I think if you put Lara around Dravid, Ganguly etc his stats would be so much better. Lara's highest score is 400 no whilst Sachin has got 248 no, Which tips the balance towards Lara. But then again Sachin played longer with the same high standard while Lara took a early retirement.

I would probably edge it towards Sachin overall, but its by a thin margin.

Now, as a Pakistan Biased fan: The best player ever is:

But my fav player overall is:

1 - Sachin
    2 - Lara
    3 - Ponting
    4- Kallis
    5 - Dravid / Mohd Yousef
    How is Afridi the best player? He's nowhere near that. Distinctly average.

Tendulkar played a lot in his earlier career (in the 90s) with a poor batting side, similar to Lara. Though in the latter half of his career, he played with a very strong batting side. Think Tendulkar is far ahead in ODIs, very few at the time averaged that much as an opener, with a very good SR. In tests it's much closer, there's not much between them. I'd go with Tendulkar in tests though.

I prefer Inzi over Yousuf, Inzi was a better matchwinner, and knew how to close a match. Out of the three middle order batsmen (Inzi, Younis, Yousuf), which was a very strong middle order, I'd rate both Inzi and Younis over Yousuf. Younis faired better in tougher more foreign conditions than Inzi (or yousuf), but Inzi's won matches and had that match winning ability that Younis doesn't have.

ReputationRep:
    Lara was just a run machine. People forget how there was a 10 year period when every time he came to the crease you just expected him to score a ton, and probably a big one, and probably quickly, and this was often against some scarily good bowling. He scored his runs at a strike rate of over 60. You'd be winning the test, Lara would come in, then 2 hours later you'd be losing.

Tendulkar was a very good middle order batsman for a long time, but he never scaled the peaks that Lara reached. For a famous batsman he has very few memorable matchwinning innings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KrazyKoala)
    How is Afridi the best player? He's nowhere near that. Distinctly average.

Tendulkar played a lot in his earlier career (in the 90s) with a poor batting side, similar to Lara. Though in the latter half of his career, he played with a very strong batting side. Think Tendulkar is far ahead in ODIs, very few at the time averaged that much as an opener, with a very good SR. In tests it's much closer, there's not much between them. I'd go with Tendulkar in tests though.

I prefer Inzi over Yousuf, Inzi was a better matchwinner, and knew how to close a match. Out of the three middle order batsmen (Inzi, Younis, Yousuf), which was a very strong middle order, I'd rate both Inzi and Younis over Yousuf. Younis faired better in tougher more foreign conditions than Inzi (or yousuf), but Inzi's won matches and had that match winning ability that Younis doesn't have.

I was being a typical Pakistan fan! The world starts with Afridi and ends with Afridi for us How dare you call Afridi average ! He's probably one of the most dangerous all-rounders in the game today!

I agree maybe Sachin did not always play with the likes of Ganguly, VVS Laxman nor Dravid but his team mates have always been decent players be it Azharudeen, Ganguly and co arrived in about 1996 as well. So Although I agree with you, I would not call his team mates "poor". They were just not as good as the future

As for him being the undisputed best ODI player ever, I have my reservations. I rate him much higher in tests. He averages a great 44 in ODI with 49 100s :eek:

But Viv Richards averaged 47, Zaheer Abbas averaged 47, Kallis averages 44 in ODI's as well

His Test stats are much more impressive to me rather than ODI

As for Inzi, I said earlier he's my fav player! But Mohd Yousef was a class act, in 2006 he was unstoppable! He made big hundreds and averaged 99 that year whilst breaking Sir Viv Richards record. Something all the modern greats could not do. So although he perhaps at times played for himself (something almost everyone in the world does bar some like Inzi, Dhoni etc) he was an amazing player.

ReputationRep:
    Inzhi over Afridi everyday. Inzhi was the man, shame he had a few too many rotis and couldn't run for ****. Afridi would have been one of the best if his explosiveness was more consistent, He's probably one of the most entertaining to watch on his day though, him and Gayle- special mention to Yuvrajh singh for that over against England though lol.

I'd go Tendulkar for ODI for sure, he was such a reliable driving force for run rate. 460 ODI's with a 86.23 strike rate and 45 avg. Das it, that's even more amazing since I consider him to have faced some of the best bowlers of all time. Test matches they're both at the top, I'd have to be splitting hairs, both are players who when came up you just knew where going to rack up some runs guaranteed. If I had to pick then Lara.

ReputationRep:
    Tendulkar anyday,

I say this due to the sheer amount of runs and hundreds Tendulkar has made and the longevity of his consistency. Not to forget his important world cup knocks in World cup 1996. 2003 and 2011. He has also vital knocks in finals such as the Sharjah twin desert storm 1998. Tendulkar has also played well against the best attacks, who can forget Tendulkar;s knock of 98 vs Wasim, Waqur, Shoib. He holds the most man of match awards and scored vital 50's in world cup Semi-final 96 and 2011.

Also faced Donald, Steyn, McGrath, Warne, Ambrose, Walsh, Murali, wasim, waqur. Played well in overseas conditions like Australia and England, such as his hundred in Perth 1992, his 146 vs Steyn in South Africa. Also he was man of the series for test series in Australia facing McGrath, Brett Lee and Warne 99.

Lara did not turn up on must win games in 1992 WC vs Aus, SF vs Aus 96, must win game WC 99 vs Aus and another must win game vs Sri Lanka 1999. Also he did nothing in a 5 match test series in Australia 2000/2003 and again against Australian in 2008. While Tendulkar turned up for important world cup games, tournement finals, man of the test series in Australia 99, consistently did well in England, Australia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    Lara was just a run machine. People forget how there was a 10 year period when every time he came to the crease you just expected him to score a ton, and probably a big one, and probably quickly, and this was often against some scarily good bowling. He scored his runs at a strike rate of over 60. You'd be winning the test, Lara would come in, then 2 hours later you'd be losing.

Tendulkar was a very good middle order batsman for a long time, but he never scaled the peaks that Lara reached. For a famous batsman he has very few memorable matchwinning innings.
    Really?

Those two back to back hundreds in Sharjah 1998, including final.

World cup semi final 2011.

A hundred in a final 1998 in Sri Lanka.

100 CB series final 2008 vs Australia.

67 vs South Africa Titan cup final, was the highest scorer.

Vital 50 in must win game vs WI in WI 2001.

Vital 50 vs Pak world cup 1992.

98 vs Pak world cup 2003.

193 vs England Headingly 2002, won game. (test)

100 vs England chasing 380. (test)

155 vs Warne India 98 facing a deficit. (test)

146 vs Steyn (test)

Not all great knocks can win matches,

He has scored hundreds in losing causes such as his 169 vs Donald in South Africa when India wads reduced to 54-5 (test), his world cup hundreds in 2011 vs England and South Africa, his 140 odd vs Pakistan chasing 330 odd in a losing cause in 2004, his 140 odd chasing 350 odd vs Australia, his 62 in world cup semi final Sri Lanka 96. His 136 vs Pakistan chasing 274 when the team was 83-5(test).

Most test and odi hundreds, most runs ,most world cup runs, most man of the match awards.

Where was Lara in must win games in all world cup's? And again against the best side in the world vs Australia 2000/2003 and 2008? Not to forget Tendulkar bowled Lara out in Hero Cup final 1993!

ReputationRep:
    Tendulkar also has a superor away batting average then lara. Tendulkar averages 55 away, while Lara averages just 48....Lara also never scored a century vs Donald, Wasim, Waqur and averages 33 in dustballs in India. True hallmarks of a bastman. Lara never faced Ambrose and Walsh. So Tendulkar better against superior bowlers than Lara, better average away from home,

Tendulkar is listed in Richie Benueds all time 11, Donald Bradman all time 11, top 25 Wisden cricketers of all time, many regards him has the 2nd best batsman of all time by WIsden. Lara is featured in none.

ReputationRep:
    Personal opinion, but I think Tendulkar edges it ever so slightly. That being said, take nothing away from Lara, who is by the far the best one of the best batsmen the West Indies has ever produced. I feel that both enjoyed stellar careers and during the time when both played, for test, they had the same number of hundreds, Lara had scored 2000 more runs, SRT played 121 test to BCL's 131, Lara had his 400* to Tendulkar's 248*, yet Lara averaged 52.88 and was dismissed 226 times, compared to Tendulkar's 56.78 with 174 dismissals. ODIs, however show SRT's dominance, with BCL playing 299 games to SRT's 377, with high scores being 169 and 186* respectively. At an average of 40.48, Lara scored 10405 runs, with 19 hundreds, whilst Tendulkar had 14731 runs, with 41 of his hundreds in this period, at a rate of 44.63. This shows how dominant Tendulkar was in this period.

Whilst I could go on and on about how much better a bowler Tendulkar proved to be, that would be highly unfair as Lara bowled sparsely, and went for only 89 runs in his international career.

In terms of fielding, I think it's fair to say that Lara was better player, with his 284 catches to Tendulkar's 256 career international catches. That said, Tendulkar had the fortune to play in a side with catchers such as Dravid and Laxman, so was not always in the position where catches would always come, such as slip which Dravid made his own.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.