Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just did my AS levels and came out feeling I didn't really push myself much this year, so I decided to do another A-Level and get started on it over the summer.
    I haven't studied French or Latin at GCSE because they were not offered at my school (despite us having teachers that teach them...) I'm really interested in both, (leaning towards Latin) and was wondering if anyone with experience in either subject could offer me advice as to which is a more viable option.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    From a purely practical point of view, the problem with French that isn't present with Latin is the oral assessment component. You can't really, effectively, self-teach coherent speaking - and even if you can, it'd be a great help if you actually had a teacher to help you perfect speaking styles. I'd say this is the easier option though, esp. if you can get a tutor.

I actually studied Latin AS this year (high 5) after completing a GCSE in it. I must admit, there is no chance I'd be able to study it just from AS. A lot of it built on my GCSE knowledge. If I had to self-teach the AS that would mean a hell of a lot of work, and I'd be demotivated within weeks. Having good teachers made the subject easier for me lower down school, which led me to take it all the way upto AS. That doesn't mean it's impossible (same for French) but it is difficult, and you should be super-motivated if you want to go through with it. Some parts of the subject do follow the stereotype often seen on TV and film - you'll spend a lot of time sitting down and learning your noun tables & verb tables.

Do you have any particular interest in French? Do you go to France much?

(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    x
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I agree with a lot of what the above poster has written. While I studied A level Latin, I actually want to give you more general advice. I wouldn't recommend taking an extra A level and there are a few reasons for this. The primary concern which I have about your idea is that you don't want it to impact upon your other A levels. Assuming that you're intending to go to university, your offer and indeed whether you fulfill the offer will be very much based on your current A levels and if you take on too much with another A level and your grades suffer, you are risking a lot. In addition to this, while you've got the oral assessment in French, in Latin you'll have the literature. This particular aspect is a step up from GCSE and quite a large step up. The texts which you are expected to learn at both AS and A level are longer and require a much deeper understanding than that of GCSE. In addition, the questions asked of the text go beyond a simple literal meaning in many cases and without teacher support, I worry whether you'd be able to make that step up.

If I were you, I'd pursue it as a hobby (as I did when I wanted to start learning Russian) rather than as a full A level. If you feel like you haven't pushed yourself, try reading beyond the syllabus on subjects from within it which interest you. I've seen posts on here which talk about IT projects which people have completed, but which are beyond the scope of the A level syllabus. I am sure that your teachers would be willing to support you in such endeavours and actually if you did this for a subject which you are interested in studying at university, then it would a) give you something to include in your personal statement which would set you apart from others and b) prepare you for the level of independent study which is expected at university.

Hope this helps,

toronto353

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    x
    (Original post by toronto353)
    x
    Thanks! This was very helpful and confirmed some of my own thoughts. I think as much as I would like to do French (I do ballet and the classes are taught in French) I'm much more enthusiastic about Latin. I'll probably study it as a hobby as you have suggested and not worry about doing any exams in it.
    Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holland.)
    I just did my AS levels and came out feeling I didn't really push myself much this year, so I decided to do another A-Level and get started on it over the summer.
    I haven't studied French or Latin at GCSE because they were not offered at my school (despite us having teachers that teach them...) I'm really interested in both, (leaning towards Latin) and was wondering if anyone with experience in either subject could offer me advice as to which is a more viable option.
    Thank you!
    Despite enjoying Latin more, I'd go for French. Only because there are more resources for self teaching.

I've done French AS, and studied some A2; it's quite easy, but fun if you learn it well.

Do you know which board you'd be on?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.