The Student Room Group

What should my 4th A-level option be?!!!

HI everyone :smile:
So I've currently finished year 11 and hoping to proceed to Alevels this September at a really good and respected sixth form college in London. I've decided to pick Biology, Chemistry, Maths and ****** < still unsure.
I've wittled it down to a few choices including:
Economics
Psychology
Art :s-smilie:
Politics/ Law
I know they're a lot of options but I still can't decide on what to pick, I wanted to be a dermatologist but when I went to the transition day and the medicine student was going on about BMAT and UKCAT I found it quite scary tbh...
I really enjoy learning Sciences and Maths but its my 4th option I have honestly know clue what to pick. I also don't want to be one of those students who keep switching their choices at the start of the year.
Any suggestions? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Is Physics not an option? Further maths?
Reply 2
Original post by Bobjim12
Is Physics not an option? Further maths?

I hate physics and further maths is definitely not an option:biggrin:
Original post by Whitney997
I hate physics and further maths is definitely not an option:biggrin:

Have you checked the uni's prospectus? i believe the London unis like a language, if there's nothing else specifically that they ask for...

Edit: ah, you're going to a sixth form in London, not planning to go to a london uni, in that case a language isn't so useful. It is still valued, you could also work abroad.............
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Have you checked the uni's prospectus? i believe the London unis like a language, if there's nothing else specifically that they ask for...

Edit: ah, you're going to a sixth form in London, not planning to go to a london uni, in that case a language isn't so useful. It is still valued, you could also work abroad.............

I don't mind going to a uni in London or abroad, I did a language last year and didn't really enjoy it and I am certain that I've forgotten nearly everything so yeah xD
i can only really suggest Physics or a subject you really enjoy in order to get get a really good result....
A language? History? Ideally a subject that shows you also have a different skill set on top of just the sciences
Reply 7
i can only really suggest Physics or a subject you really enjoy in order to get get a really good result....

I was thinking:
Economics - because I did business studies in GCSE and found it okay and 2nd year Economics is very linked to business studies.

Art - I really like drawing but I found it very time consuming during GCSE so it may jeopradise the other subjects I'm doing at Alevels..

Psychology - In the opening day I found it incredibly useful, even though there's no coursework many people who do psychology have said that the work load is tremendous and there is so much data to learn

Law/Politics - Well its very new to me and something far beyond my comfort zone

I was also thinking doing English? However, I would be more certain and comfortable after seeing my GCSE results
English is good, Psychology too, wouldn't say art is that important for medicine compared to the rest
I did exactly the same as you (back in the day) and chose English as my fourth. Looking back, I think it was a waste of time, even though I enjoyed it. I went into science, and I think doing Further Maths or Physics would have been better.

Psychology and Economics are OK but are softer A levels.
Reply 11
I did psychology as my fourth AS (I am also a medic) and absolutely loved it :colondollar:! It was very interesting and had a lot of relevance to medicine (neuroanatomy, behaviour etc.) It was a lovely change from all the sciences I was doing (bio chem and maths) and wasn't too difficult. I was in a similar position to you, struggling with what fourth A-level to do. Everyone was telling me to do physics/further maths and I'm glad I didnt. Doing these subjects gives you no real advantage (doing physics is advantageous if you want to do the BMAT- I did it and really struggled having not done AS physics.) so don't feel pressured into doing them :smile:

My advice- pick what you love and will get a good grade in. Most universities don't show a preference to what your fourth AS is in for medicine - email them to check! The only two I can think of is UCL who show a 'preference' to candidates with a contrasting subject, and maybe Cambridge who (I may be wrong) like candidates to have three sciences and maths :smile:

Good luck! :biggrin:
Economics sounds like a good enjoyable AS if you think youll be interested in it, and busimess studies is probably a lot easier but it should have given you a flavour of it so if you like that i trust youll find it interesting and its certainly widely useful
Original post by chazwomaq
I did exactly the same as you (back in the day) and chose English as my fourth. Looking back, I think it was a waste of time, even though I enjoyed it. I went into science, and I think doing Further Maths or Physics would have been better.

Psychology and Economics are OK but are softer A levels.

Economics is not a soft A-level at all; where did you get that from? it's on Cambridge's list of strong subjects.
Reply 14
Original post by joeymr
I did psychology as my fourth AS (I am also a medic) and absolutely loved it :colondollar:! It was very interesting and had a lot of relevance to medicine (neuroanatomy, behaviour etc.) It was a lovely change from all the sciences I was doing (bio chem and maths) and wasn't too difficult. I was in a similar position to you, struggling with what fourth A-level to do. Everyone was telling me to do physics/further maths and I'm glad I didnt. Doing these subjects gives you no real advantage (doing physics is advantageous if you want to do the BMAT- I did it and really struggled having not done AS physics.) so don't feel pressured into doing them :smile:

My advice- pick what you love and will get a good grade in. Most universities don't show a preference to what your fourth AS is in for medicine - email them to check! The only two I can think of is UCL who show a 'preference' to candidates with a contrasting subject, and maybe Cambridge who (I may be wrong) like candidates to have three sciences and maths :smile:

Good luck! :biggrin:

How did you find learning the content for psychology? lot's of people chose it and say that the amount of stuff that you need to memorise is a lot:frown: and I don't have a good long term memory.. and as for the BMAT how did you prepare for it? I've only completed my GCSEs now and I was looking at UKCAT and BMAT and find them really daunting:confused:
Reply 15
How did you find learning the content for psychology? lot's of people chose it and say that the amount of stuff that you need to memorise is a lot:frown: and I don't have a good long term memory.. and as for the BMAT how did you prepare for it? I've only completed my GCSEs now and I was looking at UKCAT and BMAT and find them really daunting:confused:

Yeah thats the thing with psychology- we didn't really have to understand anything, just memorize **** loads of content :/ Luckily I started revising from the beginning of the year so had all of the content down for the exams (flashcards are incredible for this! :smile:)

I wouldn't start worrying about BMAT/UKCAT yet- you're only in year 11! :smile: I revised for both of them in the summer holidays after AS so you've got ages yet. Didn't really do anything big for revision, just **** loads of practice questions :colondollar:
Reply 16
Original post by joeymr
Yeah thats the thing with psychology- we didn't really have to understand anything, just memorize **** loads of content :/ Luckily I started revising from the beginning of the year so had all of the content down for the exams (flashcards are incredible for this! :smile:)

I wouldn't start worrying about BMAT/UKCAT yet- you're only in year 11! :smile: I revised for both of them in the summer holidays after AS so you've got ages yet. Didn't really do anything big for revision, just **** loads of practice questions :colondollar:

Ohhh :smile: also I heard that to do medicine at university you need to get a 7.0 or above GCSE Average Point Score? is that true? :/
Reply 17
Ohhh :smile: also I heard that to do medicine at university you need to get a 7.0 or above GCSE Average Point Score? is that true? :/

Universities (as far as I know) don't use the point scoring system for applicants, they instead have different requirements- for example, Southampton ask for a minimum of 7 A grades at GCSE, Oxford look at the number of A*s obtained at GCSE etc. Check individual university websites for their GCSE requirements :smile:
This is such a coincidence.
I've also picked Maths, Biology, Chemistry and I'm struggling with the last. It was initially Government and Politics then I changed to Economics because it would go well with Maths. Now I'm completely clueless I'm considering Art because I got an A. I think I might to English as well?

Anyway, most people I've spoken to have told me to wait until I get my results to see what I achieved the highest in. Also try going their open days;D
Reply 19
Original post by SparklyUnicornz
This is such a coincidence.
I've also picked Maths, Biology, Chemistry and I'm struggling with the last. It was initially Government and Politics then I changed to Economics because it would go well with Maths. Now I'm completely clueless I'm considering Art because I got an A. I think I might to English as well?

Anyway, most people I've spoken to have told me to wait until I get my results to see what I achieved the highest in. Also try going their open days;D

I think I'm going to wait as well - really long and daunting though :/ are you planning to study Medicine at uni too?

Quick Reply

Latest