The Student Room Group

4 Weeks to run 4Km

Hey guys,

I'm looking to be able to run 4k in around 15 minutes 40 seconds.

I currently struggle to run 2k, although i'm relatively fit. I don't really understand it. I play lots of sports, and play squash at a fairly high level. I can run around a squash court for an hour and still have some energy, yet after about 1.5k I get really tired and out of breath.

I've given myself 4 weeks to be able to run 4km in a good time - I want to do it in around 15 minutes 40 seconds...

I was planning the following training exercise, but any help/improvements would be helpful:

I've taken this from running, but I wasn't aware that "Rest" was so important. By the looks of things, I shouldn't be running on two consecutive days?

Is this an ideal training program? Or should I look at something else?

Also.. diet... I have no idea where to start. Cutting out fatty/fizzy drinks and junk food.. but that's all I have got to so far (will edit later)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Porpuga
Hey guys,

I'm looking to be able to run 4k in around 15 minutes 40 seconds.

I currently struggle to run 2k, although i'm relatively fit. I don't really understand it. I play lots of sports, and play squash at a fairly high level. I can run around a squash court for an hour and still have some energy, yet after about 1.5k I get really tired and out of breath.

I've given myself 4 weeks to be able to run 4km in a good time - I want to do it in around 15 minutes 40 seconds...

I was planning the following training exercise, but any help/improvements would be helpful:

I've taken this from running, but I wasn't aware that "Rest" was so important. By the looks of things, I shouldn't be running on two consecutive days?

Is this an ideal training program? Or should I look at something else?

Also.. diet... I have no idea where to start. Cutting out fatty/fizzy drinks and junk food.. but that's all I have got to so far (will edit later)

Haven't played squash to any significant degree, but I'd guess since the focus is on agility rather than straight out running it won't translate directly to running.

I'd suggest working on your aerobic fitness first - go for steady state runs (preferably every day, they're not as taxing as HIIT), increasing the distance by a bit until you can run 5km. Then go back and mix in interval training to build up speed.

For nutrition, definitely cut out fizzy drink, the carbon dioxide worsens your cardiovascular system. If you must drink something like Lucozade make sure it's still. If you're not looking to drop fat (just get fit) eat plenty of protein (about 1g per kg of body weight should be enough) and low GI carbs (brown/wholemeal stuff, fruit). Important micronutrients include zinc, magnesium, iron, vitamin B and vitamin K. Eat some spinach, broccoli, nuts, peppers; that kind of stuff
As a fellow squash player who also occasionally runs

a) You're probably just setting off too fast. Most people who don't regularly run don't realise how painfully slowly you need to go to conserve energy. Don't run like you're on a squash court. try and run so slowly you feel like you're basically walking. I have this problem, I set off like I'm Roger Bannister and after a mile I'm knackered and I've got a stitch.

b) running is ****ing boring compared to something like squash. With squash you will have adrenaline flowing from the competition and so you will barely notice how tired you are. With running there is like nothing else to think about, so you will feel every bloody step. It takes willpower to keep going, as compared to squash its painful, boring, tiring and largely pointless.
So you want to go from not being able to run 4km to running it at 6min/mile pace in 4 weeks? Not happening. Unless you're running that 1.5km at sub 6min/mile pace. In which case, the reason you can't run further than 1.5km is because you're running it too fast.
Slow down and see if you can jog 4km before you try running it with a fast pace.

Also I always ate a load of carbs the night before doing a longish run (15km) and it helped a lot

Quick Reply

Latest