Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stay at my schools sixth form or move on to college? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I have completed all my GCSEs now and I have applied to two colleges for A Levels. One is the sixth form college attached to my secondary school and the other is a college about half an hour away from my house on the bus. I am really stuck for which one I should enrol for on results day in August. I know the teachers I will have if I stay at my sixth form with school, I get on with them and know them well and have already established good relationships with them. I can do the courses that I want to do there, the class sizes are smaller (something I benefit from) and it is very close to my house. However, the other college offers a wider range of courses, lots more people and a fresh start. My only concerns are that I wouldn't have the same relationships with teachers as I would if I stayed at school and that the bus pass is ridiculously expensive. However, I am currently 'in' (on the outskirts so to speak) of a friendship group who are all staying at my schools sixth form, and they are all going really downhill along the drugs route. I've never touched a drug in my life and don't intend to but I feel like the older they get, the more they'll go out and the more left out I'll feel.

So basically, I'd just like to know whether you think it's best to start somewhere new where I do not know anyone, being in bigger classes and where I might struggle to find friends/good teachers that I get on with or to stay at my schools sixth form which is easily accessible, I have great relationships with the teachers and love the courses available but aren't with the group of friends I fit in with at all?

Sorry if this is at all confusing and thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    I think you should do what feels right deep inside. Are the people in the friend group really your friends, or are they just hanging out with you and being friends with each other? Do you really really want to stay with them even if you feel like an outsider and they are already deep in the drug world?
    I'd advise you to go to the other college unless you are absolutely sure that you want to spend your whole time in college with those friends. If friendships start crumbling in the next few years, It won't be very pleasant to see/meet them every day at school, which will happen if you choose the local sixth-form. I think you could make some friends in the college even if you don't know anyone in there if you aren't an extremely unsocial person.

Sorry if this was confusing, your post was indeed a bit confusing so I don't know if I got anything right, but feel free to correct me if I have terribly misunderstood something

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! No I understand you completely, you seem to have understood what I was trying to say
    Yes, what you said does make it a lot clearer in my head, I think the main thing for me is the teachers as they're so friendly and I'm really close with them at my local sixth form and if I go to the other college, I won't know them at all (I know I'll have to move on someday) and that's what's pulling me back to the local sixth form in all honesty! Thankyou though :p:)

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm glad it helped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.