Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to Carry Money Abroad Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

From experience, what is the best way to carry money - debit, credit or prepaid travel card? Specifically within Europe and primarily withdrawing from ATM's.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I generally just get the amount of cash that I ideally want to spend then bring my debit card in case I go over but if you don't want to take cash, it's probably slightly cheaper to get a travelcard. Lots of fees though.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard top up travel cards are best but cannot confirm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EasyReppin)
    I've heard top up travel cards are best but cannot confirm.
    Close enough.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...385314133#hell

Scroll down to Top prepaid cards if not interested in a credit card

ReputationRep:
    I used a pretty paid card when I went to Marseille, no problems with it at all. You just have to remember what you have spent.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, some cash in American dollars for emergency exchange and a visa debit card.

Then once you are settled just local cash and a visa debit card.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Close enough.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...385314133#hell

Scroll down to Top prepaid cards if not interested in a credit card
    So with these, do you basically top it up say £100 worth of euros at that current exchange rate then you have €123 euros to play with? That €123 is fixed until you run out and you can also top up for more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EasyReppin)
    So with these, do you basically top it up say £100 worth of euros at that current exchange rate then you have €123 euros to play with? That €123 is fixed until you run out and you can also top up for more?
    Yep exactly! I personally use https://www.iceplc.com/ because you get a free 'extra' card for emergencies to leave in your hotel safe or whatever, no cash withdrawal fees, and yea, I just find it simple. (Also they buy back the currency you didn't spend at the same rate with no commission) Personal choice though

In Eurozone I tend to just use my Société Générale Visa Infinite, everywhere else I use my American Express Platinum unless I have local accounts/credit cards).

I recommend you get a Eurozone account if you travel frequently, look at comdirect.de or DKB.de

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tehFrance)
      In Eurozone I tend to just use my Société Générale Visa Infinite, everywhere else I use my American Express Platinum unless I have local accounts/credit cards).

I recommend you get a Eurozone account if you travel frequently, look at comdirect.de or DKB.de
      lol.

(Original post by samba)
        lol.
        Yes? I don't see where the joke is with this advice, it's solid advice if the OP frequently travels to Eurozone countries, I recommended the German banks as you don't need to be physically present to open an account nor do you need a German address and they're fee free.

I personally have a British account with HSBC (business and personal), a French account with Société Générale (for Eurozone, personal), a Hong Kong account with HSBC (for Asia as no foreign transaction fees, business) and a UAE account with ADCB (business and personal).

Everyone should have localised accounts for the countries they travel to most.

ReputationRep:
        Yes? I don't see where the joke is with this advice, it's solid advice if the OP frequently travels to Eurozone countries, I recommended the German banks as you don't need to be physically present to open an account nor do you need a German address and they're fee free.

I personally have a British account with HSBC (business and personal), a French account with Société Générale (for Eurozone, personal), a Hong Kong account with HSBC (for Asia as no foreign transaction fees, business) and a UAE account with ADCB (business and personal).

Everyone should have localised accounts for the countries they travel to most.
        Using an Amex for international transactions is simply silly. My ex did that once for fuel+landing fees. Her dad was not amused. There are so many better options.

(Original post by samba)
          Using an Amex for international transactions is simply silly. My ex did that once for fuel+landing fees. Her dad was not amused. There are so many better options.
          Silly to whom? You? That may well be the case but for me, it's fine.

ReputationRep:
          Silly to whom? You? That may well be the case but for me, it's fine.
          For anybody that doesn't want to pay 3% extra for no reason whatsoever other than laziness.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.