The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Has anyone done SK143 or S142 science modules?

Just wondering if anyone has studied/plans to study SK143 or S142 and what they made of them :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I didn't no as it wasn't around when I was doing level 1.. Friends did it though and said it was difficult and a little messy... Thought about S142??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by kjglen24
I didn't no as it wasn't around when I was doing level 1.. Friends did it though and said it was difficult and a little messy... Thought about S142??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya

Yeah it was a toss up between S142 and SK143. Both sound really good. I like the fact S142 contains microbiology and then I like that SK143 contains cancer topics, both those subjects I really enjoy. Its not set in stone yet and I can change to S142 if I end up fancying that one more but I'm just trying to get people's experiences with either modules. Its all very good reading the course description but its always better to hear personal descriptions of the course instead.
Original post by Yasmin25
Hiya

Yeah it was a toss up between S142 and SK143. Both sound really good. I like the fact S142 contains microbiology and then I like that SK143 contains cancer topics, both those subjects I really enjoy. Its not set in stone yet and I can change to S142 if I end up fancying that one more but I'm just trying to get people's experiences with either modules. Its all very good reading the course description but its always better to hear personal descriptions of the course instead.

If your doing these modules your on the biology pathway? Cancer will feature heavy in level 2 and 3... S142 is a lot better as it will help you with the chemistry you need for biology or chemistry level 2 and onwards!! S142 is an amazing module too, I had a distinction and it was very interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by kjglen24
If your doing these modules your on the biology pathway? Cancer will feature heavy in level 2 and 3... S142 is a lot better as it will help you with the chemistry you need for biology or chemistry level 2 and onwards!! S142 is an amazing module too, I had a distinction and it was very interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww lucky you getting a distinction! Well done! That must have been a lot of work involved for that. Yeah I'm on the biology pathway. I deferred S141 and S104 until this Oct due to my health but better now. I banked my scores with S141 but going to start S104 from scratch again. I passed all my tmas and got decent scores but I feel as though I could have done a lot better with S104 as my heart wasn't in it much at the time with my health but I'm all better now.

Ah I should have known that cancer would be mentioned a lot in L2 as a big module there is on cell life. I am hoping to go into virology after the degree so maybe S142 would be best for me. I already have some qualifications in microbiology and chemistry but it doesn't hurt to learn more.
Aww lucky you getting a distinction! Well done! That must have been a lot of work involved for that. Yeah I'm on the biology pathway. I deferred S141 and S104 until this Oct due to my health but better now. I banked my scores with S141 but going to start S104 from scratch again. I passed all my tmas and got decent scores but I feel as though I could have done a lot better with S104 as my heart wasn't in it much at the time with my health but I'm all better now.

Ah I should have known that cancer would be mentioned a lot in L2 as a big module there is on cell life. I am hoping to go into virology after the degree so maybe S142 would be best for me. I already have some qualifications in microbiology and chemistry but it doesn't hurt to learn more.

Glad your better :-) yeah virology would require more cell biology and microbiology so go for S142... Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Still looking to talk to anyone who has done or plans to do either of these modules :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Still looking to talk to anyone who has done or plans to do either of these modules :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just signed up to do sk143 now, alongside two other modules. I am starting BSC Health Sciences. Feeling quite nervous about balancing a full time degree with a full time job.
Reply 8
Original post by puggles
Just signed up to do sk143 now, alongside two other modules. I am starting BSC Health Sciences. Feeling quite nervous about balancing a full time degree with a full time job.

Hey :smile:

Are the two other modules S104 and S141? I've done them as part of my biology degree. S104 starts off quite easy and then suddenly gets quite difficult, well not so much difficult but more like the workload increases. I would be nervous about that too but plenty of people have juggled a degree with a full time job. I'm sure there will be a lot of people on the OU chat thread on here that would be able to give you some tips on how to keep up with work and keep your stress levels at bay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thank you for reply :biggrin:.

As I am hoping to carry on into mental health nursing after this degree, I picked DE100 (investigating psychology) and SDK125 (Introducing Health Sciences) . Health Science was the degree with the most relevance to nursing and biology so i went with that, I started out doing Social Policy last year..... just no. Good luck with everything! :cool:
Reply 10
Thanks! Good luck to you too! Lets hope we enjoy SK143 :tongue:
Reply 11
SAAS has now paid uni so I am fully registered now on SK143 and my 2 deferred modules so I can get a nosy at the dispatch dates, assessment dates etc. I saw that for SK143 we have an iCMA every fortnight roughly and then I'll obviously have the TMAs for S104 since I didn't bank my scores so it made me feel a tad overwhelmed at the work load but I'll get through it and more importantly, put a lot of revision in before uni starts back up! :tongue:
Reply 12
Bump :smile:

Just over 3 weeks now until my SK143 materials get sent out :biggrin:
Reply 13
Reply 14
If any of you guys are doing SK143, there is a free online course you can do which last for 6 weeks and only requires 3 hrs a week from you and ends the week the OU modules start. Its by FutureLearn and the module is called
[h="1"]Heart health: a beginner's guide to cardiovascular disease[/h]
That'll be handy for SK143 since that is a module on heart disease and cancer :smile:
Reply 15
Thanks for the tip on the mini course, have done one previously with Futurelearn, not a bad taster for what's to come.
Reply 16
I finished sk123 a couple months ago. Course was alright, pretty easy imo. Not one you can really talk about with friends/family cus they'll moan at you for being depressing.
Reply 17
Yeah I can imagine learning about heart disease and cancer can be rather depressing! I'm just worried in case it makes me even more of a hypochondriac! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Today is the day the books get shipped out! We should hopefully get them by the weekend. Won't be long til uni starts again!
I'm enrolled on SK143 and S141 having completed S104 last year.

Quick Reply

Latest