Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you love someone that you aren't in a relationship with? Watch

Announcements

Personally, although I hate to admit it, I've loved someone for years and we've never been in a relationship. Not like a platonic love, but romantic love towards someone never having been in a relationship. I've always been scared to talk about my feelings even with my best friends because I am afraid they will dumb down my feelings, even as 18 year olds, as not love because I'm not in a relationship.

What are others' views in general on whether you can love someone without them loving you?

ReputationRep:
    Sure. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes I believe you can truly love someone without them loving you back. It hurts like hell though.

ReputationRep:
    No sorry you can't, if you've never truly been with someone you can't love them in a romantic way. You are just in love with the thought of being with them when in reality its nothing like you'd imagine. Love grows in time, love at first sight is absolute b*llocks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can. We've all been there.

You don't have to tell your friends you love this person. You could just tell them you have feelings, you don't have to go into details about how strong those feelings are. Letting it out will help, trust me. And if your friends laugh at you, it would be because they're immature, it's not a reflection on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mallinder)
    No sorry you can't, if you've never truly been with someone you can't love them in a romantic way. You are just in love with the thought of being with them when in reality its nothing like you'd imagine. Love grows in time, love at first sight is absolute b*llocks.
    Loving someone without being in a relationship =/= love at first sight. I'd agree that love at first sight is 'absolute b*llocks' as you have to know someone to lone them, but what if you're best friends?

ReputationRep:
    Possible. I loved my best friend for few years and we weren't in relationship. He felt the same way (admitted it years later) so that's two examples.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My best friend was in that situation and he believed he "loved" this girl for years, even though when she found out he liked her, she didn't like him back and he still continued to like her even after she got a boyfriend. I kept on telling him that there's no point wasting his feelings on someone who doesn't feel the same way but he didn't listen. However, I'm now pleased to say he has a girlfriend who goes to the same school as them and he managed to get over his first "love" in record time haha. So actually, I don't think he was really in love with her, which is what I always tried to tell him. As someone else said, he was in love with the idea of being with her and because he had pursued her for so long, it's like he felt as if he would be with her eventually in an ideal world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No u can't its too difficult.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's possible but I think the word your looking for here is "infatuation"!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Personally, although I hate to admit it, I've loved someone for years and we've never been in a relationship. Not like a platonic love, but romantic love towards someone never having been in a relationship. I've always been scared to talk about my feelings even with my best friends because I am afraid they will dumb down my feelings, even as 18 year olds, as not love because I'm not in a relationship.

What are others' views in general on whether you can love someone without them loving you?
    Sometimes (depends on the person), unrequited, secret love can be better than actually saying anything. It's a very nice feeling to have and avoids the high risk of disappointment that comes with telling them how you feel ( you risk discovering that they have no feeling for you or even if they do, they might be a **** when you get to know them better).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah fangirled over her for 2 years, however already with someone so o.O.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.