Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anybody self-taught A level Maths in one year? Is it expensive, hard? I'm currently doing 4 AS levels and love them all but the uni I wuld like to attend recommended I took on Maths... I have the drive to do it but would love to hear from others

ReputationRep:
    If you have the drive to do it, you'll have no problem with it whatsoever. If you wanna do it, you'll do it. The only thing A-Level maths needs is time and patience, and if I'm honest, I think someone who teaches themselves is likely to do better than a regular person in a class.

Ok thank you, did you self teach? Do u know any good textbook etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richiebee)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which exam board are you doing? I self-taught Edexcel A level maths using the edexcel heinemann textbooks (the ones with the CD-rom in the back of the textbook - these contain worked solutions to all the textbook questions). I found them very easy to self-teach from.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, I didn't self teach, but the other side of the coin is, I know that having to go to class when you just don't wanna do maths is demotivational; and when I wanted to do it at home, I got through a lot. So I'm placing bets on someone who loves what they're doing - doing it how and when they want to do it - succeeding.

I don't really know of any good textbooks (I've heard the CGP ones are great for revision though). Obviously, it's a good idea to have access to the official textbook that follows the spec (maybe your school has some spare?) Given a choice of exam board, I'd go with Edexcel, it seems easiest and there is a massive amount of content online based on their specification. I have to recommend examsolutions.net, whatever board you're on. Though it's run by MEI, it's worth seeing if your school has access to integral maths, as they have content from AQA, Edexcel and OCR too, and I found it great for learning topics quickly and revision. Failing that there's also MEI's FMSP site which has free revision videos for these four boards - though they're based on past papers so they might not be too useful until you get to that level.

In the end, it's up to you what you get out of it, and I wish you the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much, I'll email my teacher and see which spec they do at my school maybe they'll give me extra help or let me sit in classes .... Thanks for your help, much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody self-taught A level Maths in one year? Is it expensive, hard? I'm currently doing 4 AS levels and love them all but the uni I would like to attend recommended I took on Maths... I have the drive to do it but would love to hear from others
    The whole A-level? I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you aren't currently doing any maths intensive A-levels right now. It'll probably affect the grades that you receive in your other subjects too, as it'll require a lot of your available time.

Perhaps you could do the AS? Would the uni's you've applied to/are thinking of applying to accept that?

ReputationRep:
    I'm self-teaching A2 maths using exam solutions.
    What would probably have taken half a year in class took me 2 weeks to learn at home, so I'd definitely say it's possible. Not too hard (for me, and I'm no genius) and the only cost are the exam fees, which could be paid by your school.
    My friend self-taught AS maths and he said it took around a week per module, being thorough. There's not much content involved so once you understand a few principles, you're good

Wow really? Tbf I can see why it's easier in a way as you're learning when and what you want to learn, in your own time so knowing me I'd plough through it.. Thanks for your messages everyone .. I think I'm gunna go for it, and if I struggle, I've got a year before my a2s anyway so I can drop at any time... Worth a go I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow really? Tbf I can see why it's easier in a way as you're learning when and what you want to learn, in your own time so knowing me I'd plough through it.. Thanks for your messages everyone .. I think I'm gunna go for it, and if I struggle, I've got a year before my a2s anyway so I can drop at any time... Worth a go I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds like a good plan!

I'd also advise starting learning M4 and 5 well in advance of the exams as some bits, e.g. M4 relative motion, might take you a while to get your head round, but once you have, they seem suddenly easier!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claree)
    Sounds like a good plan!

I'd also advise starting learning M4 and 5 well in advance of the exams as some bits, e.g. M4 relative motion, might take you a while to get your head round, but once you have, they seem suddenly easier!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    M4 and 5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaetpa)
    M4 and 5?
    They're maths units, just like C2 or S1 The 'M' stands for mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cerlohee)
    They're maths units, just like C2 or S1 The 'M' stands for mechanics.
    Haha, I know, but thanks I was just wondering why someone doing the single A Level Maths would want to do such hard units!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I know, but thanks I was just wondering why someone doing the single A Level Maths would want to do such hard units!
    Oh, yeah they wouldn't I think those are just modules from the additional further maths A-Level

ReputationRep:
    IF you like math then it shouldn't be a problem. if you did fairly well (B/A/A*) in GCSE then talking in edexcel board terms C1 should be a piece of cake. C2 and C3 are trig intensive but reallly fun. C4 is mainly integration which might take some time to get around your head. Additionally you'd have to do two application modules .. statistics 1 and mechanics 1 is the normal choice.. but you could do statistics 2 in place of mechanics as it is hella easier. You just have to put in the effort and make a plan and stick to it

ReputationRep:
    M4 and 5?
    I did them for additional further maths (so I did all 18 availabe modules on Edexcel)

ReputationRep:
    I did them for additional further maths (so I did all 18 availabe modules on Edexcel)
    Cool, I wish I was a smartie like you :P I did MEI M2 for further maths this summer and boy, did I mess that up...
    Not because I'm bad at it, I just broke down in the exam, if I was a car I would need a mechanic (yeah, bad joke!)

But seriously, I do wish I could cope with much more maths than I can, it really interests me but I find it so tiring :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks everyone, great advice xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody self-taught A level Maths in one year? Is it expensive, hard? I'm currently doing 4 AS levels and love them all but the uni I wuld like to attend recommended I took on Maths... I have the drive to do it but would love to hear from others
    I did it over 2 years (AS with WJEC, then converted it and did A2 with Edexcel), but if you put in the effort and have a mathsy brain then I'm sure it would be fine to do it in one.

Pick your applied modules (M1, S1, D1 etc) carefully. Stats is my personal favourite but you'll have your own preferences I'm sure. Weigh up whether you want to do M1/M2, S1/S1, D1/D2 or two of M1/S1/D1, with the latter likely to be the 'easier' option but again it will depend on what you like.

Which exam board are you doing? I self-taught Edexcel A level maths using the edexcel heinemann textbooks (the ones with the CD-rom in the back of the textbook - these contain worked solutions to all the textbook questions). I found them very easy to self-teach from.
    If these are the ones you mean then I definitely concur. I self-taught from them and they are excellent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    If these are the ones you mean then I definitely concur. I self-taught from them and they are excellent.
    Yep, those are the books.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.