Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girlfriend made a rape joke about me... Watch

Announcements

We were talking about going out for a drink and I said if you drink, I won't drink as someone has to keep an eye on you and she made a joke about me saying I might rape her.

I was seriously offended and quite hurt that someone could say that. I really despise crime, especially sexual crimes so I was hurt that she could say that I was capable of something.

Should I just take it on the head and "man up" or do I have a reason to be upset?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion you should man up. It seems perfectly harmless and jokey.

ReputationRep:
    OP you sound like a puss and your girlfriend will likely dump you in the next few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Learn to take a joke, why so serious?

ReputationRep:
    Man up...

why would you even make a topic about this can't you think for yourself?

ReputationRep:
    how about you grow a pair and stop being so sensitive.

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, are you sure you're even interested in girls?

ReputationRep:
    It was clearly a joke, why would she tell people you'd rape her?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Break up, I'd recommend focusing on your studies for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's completely understandable that you were upset by your girlfriend suggesting that you would do something as awful as rape her, although she most likely didn't mean it as anything other than a joke. If you're offended it would probably be a good idea to talk to her about it- communication is really important in relationships

ReputationRep:
    I would dump her. Sounds like she's got issues. Next time she's in a relationship she'll learn not to be such a ****.

So how does one respond then to a joke that you would rape your girlfriend? "Sure I'll rape you!"?

ReputationRep:
    Guys the personal attacks on the OP are completely unnecessary!

ReputationRep:
    Man up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So how does one respond then to a joke that you would rape your girlfriend? "Sure I'll rape you!"?
    You could say "If I drink too much maybe YOU'LL rape ME." Anyway. It's not a funny joke. Just dump the silly girl. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

ReputationRep:
    That's no big deal. Me and my bf always jokingly insult each other.

ReputationRep:
    Was your comment about keeping an eye on her in earnest or in jest?

ReputationRep:
    It was a joke. My boyfriend and I joke about stuff like that. It's very obviously a joke. She doesn't think you're a rapist or she wouldn't be with you.

(Original post by iheartplums)
    That's no big deal. Me and my bf always jokingly insult each other.
    When did rape become a joke? If I posted a rape joke on this website, I'll be swamped by feminists and white knights.

(Original post by Holby_fanatic)
    It was a joke. My boyfriend and I joke about stuff like that. It's very obviously a joke. She doesn't think you're a rapist or she wouldn't be with you.
    You joke about raping your boyfriend or your boyfriend rapes you?

I joke with my girlfriend, just never something like rape.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.