Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

My sister is going to study in Scotland. She is an international student, so choosing a community college for her is not easy. She is interested in studyng Fine Arts. If anyone has any advice on which further education college she should choose, she would be grateful.
    She was looking for further education colleges in St Andrews, but coudn't find any.

Thanks!
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina Nia)
    Hello!

My sister is going to study in Scotland. She is an international student, so choosing a community college for her is not easy. She is interested in studyng Fine Arts. If anyone has any advice on which further education college she should choose, she would be grateful.
    She was looking for further education colleges in St Andrews, but coudn't find any.

Thanks!
    Do you mean university or college? As they are very different things in Scotland. One of the best for art would probably be Glasgow School of Art.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Do you mean university or college? As they are very different things in Scotland. One of the best for art would probably be Glasgow School of Art.

I meant colleges. We both thought that if there is St Andrews University there must be academically excellent community colleges too:rolleyes:
    Sorry, if it sounds stupid. We are both international students, so not quite familiar with Scottish education system
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    I meant colleges. We both thought that if there is St Andrews University there must be academically excellent community colleges too:rolleyes:
    Sorry, if it sounds stupid. We are both international students, so not quite familiar with Scottish education system
    Ah I'm not sure then, St Andrews is very small so I would be surprised if there were many colleges there. I know where I live, Glasgow, there are a lot. One of the best being City College, Glasgow and a close friend of mine is doing illustration there. You apply to the colleges directly on their website, but I've never heard of colleges in St Andrews. I may be wrong though, Dundee would probably be your best bet if that's the area you want to live in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Ah I'm not sure then, St Andrews is very small so I would be surprised if there were many colleges there. I know where I live, Glasgow, there are a lot. One of the best being City College, Glasgow and a close friend of mine is doing illustration there. You apply to the colleges directly on their website, but I've never heard of colleges in St Andrews. I may be wrong though, Dundee would probably be your best bet if that's the area you want to live in.

Thank you for replying so quickly I also never heard of them. She likes St Andrews, but most probably will have to go somewhere else.. If there are no collges in St Andrews

I am myself interested in studying Art History at St Andrews, and I am also looking for some information regarding my studies.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for replying so quickly I also never heard of them. She likes St Andrews, but most probably will have to go somewhere else.. If there are no collges in St Andrews

I am myself interested in studying Art History at St Andrews, and I am also looking for some information regarding my studies.
    She can complete a year at college then apply to do a degree at St Andrew's

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you American? ie. by Community college do you mean a 'foundation university' ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    She can complete a year at college then apply to do a degree at St Andrew's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you! I didn't know that it is possible to apply to a university after completing just a year at college. But would it be possible for her? She has a certificate for completion of grade 9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Are you American? ie. by Community college do you mean a 'foundation university' ?
    No, I am not. I meant further education colleges.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you! I didn't know that it is possible to apply to a university after completing just a year at college. But would it be possible for her? She has a certificate for completion of grade 9.
    Depending on what qualifications she has now she may have to do more than a year at college but it's certainly possible

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    Depending on what qualifications she has now she may have to do more than a year at college but it's certainly possible

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for such a quick and helpful reply

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.