Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I'll be starting an access to radiography course in September and was wondering if anyone can help me. Maths and physics are my weakest subjects so I'd like to know which areas of these subjects I should concentrate my preparation study on. I'd also like to know which books people, studying this course, found useful. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lisa. For physics you will need some algebra (including quadratic equations) and trigonometry. The stuff in higher tier GCSE covers the basics. If you want to do more, you could borrow or buy a C1 maths book (the first part of maths A Level) but you probably won't need to go that far. I bought AS and A2 physics text books, but if your college has a decent library, you should be able to borrow anything you need. I also found maths A level M1 (mechanics) was quite useful when we covered that topic in physics.

Do you know whether your maths modules are Level 2 or Level 3?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Schadenfreude65, thanks for replying. The maths modules are all level 2, the physics/radiography modules are a mixture of both level 2 and 3.

ReputationRep:
    In that case, it would be a good idea to get a higher tier maths GCSE book, and work your way through it. There are some good online resources too. The Khan Academy is good for both maths and physics. I found it helped to mix text books and online videos both before and during the course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lisa1974 I have no advice to give as I will be starting the same course in September, I'm so excited and nervous.

Where will you be doing yours?

ReputationRep:
    Will there maths modules included in all access courses? I was told the maths and English equivalents were no longer included from September.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Daisy pearl. I'll be doing my access course at Kensington and Chelsea college, how about you? I'm not 100% sure about the maths and English modules but at my interview I was told that you have to be good at maths (at least GCSE level). I'll be doing GCSE maths as well because I need a grade b for uni.
    I'm also feeling nervous but excited, its been a loooong time since I was at school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa1974)
    Hi Daisy pearl. I'll be doing my access course at Kensington and Chelsea college, how about you? I'm not 100% sure about the maths and English modules but at my interview I was told that you have to be good at maths (at least GCSE level). I'll be doing GCSE maths as well because I need a grade b for uni.
    I'm also feeling nervous but excited, its been a loooong time since I was at school
    Omg I will be at the same college 😀 I have already enrolled and I can't wait to get started. I will definitely see you there as i was told its only one class.

At my interview I did not bring up the subject of GCSE Maths but I have already applied to local colleges to start in September.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and don't worry I'm a mature student too been more than 15 years since I left school. We will be fine hopefully x

ReputationRep:
    I'll be dropping my enrolment form in this week. Gonna spend the next couple of months brushing up on maths and physics

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone who is attending Kensington and Chelsea college had any contact regrading the course? I just want to try be as prepared as possible come the 9th September as this is my first time back in education in about 10 years.
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=lisafyfe;49063282]Has anyone who is attending Kensington and Chelsea college had any contact regrading the course? I just want to try be as prepared as possible come the 9th September as this is my first time back in education in about 10 years.
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

I haven't been in education for 20 years.....I'm bricking it. I haven't heard anything from the college since I enrolled. I was hoping I'd hear something regarding which textbooks and materials we need, but so far nothing.....I'm not quite sure what I need which is frustrating because I wanted to be prepared. I'm just hoping to hear something soon.

ReputationRep:

I haven't been in education for 20 years.....I'm bricking it. I haven't heard anything from the college since I enrolled. I was hoping I'd hear something regarding which textbooks and materials we need, but so far nothing.....I'm not quite sure what I need which is frustrating because I wanted to be prepared. I'm just hoping to hear something soon.[/QUOTE]

Did they happen to give you any information at all before enrollment? Anything about the modules we will be doing etc. I feel quite lost at the moment. Suppose we will just have to wait and see. Are you going to be working whilst studying? I know its going to be difficult, but my only option is to carry on working throughout the access course and just put my head down and study at every other available moment. Fingers crossed we do hear something soon.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got anything from the college, but after looking around online I think we'll be covering physics, social science, maths, human anatomy and physiology. I'm also feeling very lost, I wanted to be far more prepared than I am. My partners gonna work overtime coz he wants me to have as much time to study as I need, but I may have to get a job at some point. I'm excited but nervous at the same time lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisafyfe)

I haven't been in education for 20 years.....I'm bricking it. I haven't heard anything from the college since I enrolled. I was hoping I'd hear something regarding which textbooks and materials we need, but so far nothing.....I'm not quite sure what I need which is frustrating because I wanted to be prepared. I'm just hoping to hear something soon.

Did they happen to give you any information at all before enrollment? Anything about the modules we will be doing etc. I feel quite lost at the moment. Suppose we will just have to wait and see. Are you going to be working whilst studying? I know its going to be difficult, but my only option is to carry on working throughout the access course and just put my head down and study at every other available moment. Fingers crossed we do hear something soon. [/QUOTE]

I didn't receive any details about modules etc either :/ I'm must say I was happy to learn we are only in for 2 days, gives me plenty of study time

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got anything from the college, but after looking around online I think we'll be covering physics, social science, maths, human anatomy and physiology. I'm also feeling very lost, I wanted to be far more prepared than I am. My partners gonna work overtime coz he wants me to have as much time to study as I need, but I may have to get a job at some point. I'm excited but nervous at the same time lol
    Thanks I thought as much about the modules. Can't wait to get started in sep. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisafyfe)
    Thanks I thought as much about the modules. Can't wait to get started in sep. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not long to go now what dates will you be doing as I believe there's two groups on different days?

ReputationRep:
    The days of my course are Tuesday and Wednesday 9.30-4.30. I'm also doing GCSE maths on a Thursday..........how about u?

ReputationRep:
    The days of my course are Tuesday and Wednesday 9.30-4.30. I'm also doing GCSE maths on a Thursday..........how about u?
    I was under the impression that I was also doing Tue & Wed and I have my timetable which also says the same, but I recieved an email yesterday stating I'm in group 2 and therefore doing Mon & Thu. Spoke with course tutor who said that's correct and they will see if there's someone who wants to swap with me. I'm in shock tbh

ReputationRep:
    Not long at all. I will be doing Tuesday's and Wednesday's. I will also be doing a maths GCSE, however there was no mention of this in the email I got and because im working 3 days a week I wont be able to attend another day. Going to pop them an email now and check!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.