Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Work experience at the job centre.... any advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello...

I just came from my first appointment with the job centre work coach... and strangely got offered work experience at the job centre for six weeks... I am extremely nervous, as I have Asperger's syndrome and get extremely anxious in new social environments, I have taken them up on the offer and start this Monday.... if anyone else has done this, can anyone give me a rough idea on what to expect?

cheers in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samwin)
    Hello...

I just came from my first appointment with the job centre work coach... and strangely got offered work experience at the job centre for six weeks... I am extremely nervous, as I have Asperger's syndrome and get extremely anxious in new social environments, I have taken them up on the offer and start this Monday.... if anyone else has done this, can anyone give me a rough idea on what to expect?

cheers in advance!
    Hey there!

It might be a way of them trying to ease you into a professional working environment, in a surrounding you're familiar with, with people that you can trust try not to be nervous, and be as calm as you can be. You're in capable hands.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hello...

cheers in advance!
    Well, it depends. What is your educational background? What do you want to go in to? What is your employment history? Bare in mind, you still have to look for jobs during the work experience but you will have to have a meeting with your advisor every 2 weeks instead of every week.

ReputationRep:
    Hello...

cheers in advance!
    I'm exactly the same!. They want me to do work experience at the job center and I suffer from anxiety. But the civil service is the area I want to go into. Do you know what the hours are like?, I'm yet to have my interview for it.

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck! Look smart and believe in yourself. Don't be nervous or shy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Costalo)
    I'm exactly the same!. They want me to do work experience at the job center and I suffer from anxiety. But the civil service is the area I want to go into. Do you know what the hours are like?, I'm yet to have my interview for it.
    Hi Costalo

I have been there now for 2 weeks, and I have to say it has been an education. Depending on any health conditions.... your hours can be 4 days a week from 9am-4pm (with an hour's lunch break) (or wednesday 10-4) or till 2-4pm or from 11-4pm

The manager goes through in the interview, asking what your generally looking for and what you can get out of your placement with them, general duties, (podium duty, greeting anyone entering the centre, signing them in, helping clients on the computer, filing, etc.) There are some boring moments, but right now trying to get the most out of it I can (also they usually let me use their materials to search for job vacancies).

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.