Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best exercise to lose fat? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys;

Well, I am a medium/small build and ever since my exams started and even after they ended, I gained 6 lbs (in about 3 months). Taking me from 10 stone to 10 and a half stone.

Basic info:

Height: 171cm
    Weight: 10.5 stone

Chest = 36 inch
    Waist = Not got a clue...
    Hips = 30/31 inch

Anyway, I am a medium bordering small build and have noticed a gain of fat around my gut... mainly because the diet in my parents house leaves much to be desired, mostly high carb diet, rice, chips, potatoes, oh and a lot of bread...

In short, when I go back to uni, I intent to join the gym on campus and was wondering what the best form of exercise is to lose fat (not particularly bothered about gaining muscle mass).
    Also wouldn't mind boosting my cardio either. =)

EDIT:
    And yes, I know the basic jogging but, is there anything else that can help me?
    Yes, I did eat healthily until I made my way home, then my diet went to hell...

ReputationRep:
    Ever tried running ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super199)
    Ever tried running ?
    Yeah, I kinda gathered that but, is there anything else other than a treadmill/jogging to help me? =l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Yeah, I kinda gathered that but, is there anything else other than a treadmill/jogging to help me? =l
    Any and all cardio. Running, cycling, swimming, rowing.

ReputationRep:
    I know you asked for an exercise but arguably losing fat, especially around the middle of your body, is 70% diet and 30% exercise. You're going to find it quite hard to get rid of that fat around your gut if you don't cut down on your carbs (which is what I am currently doing). I would say that cutting down in your carbs is the most important thing you could do. Or at least swap them to complex carbs (you might already) such as wholemeal bread, pasta (swapping white bread for brown bread etc). If you really can't as you have to eat your parents meals, have a smaller portion of carbs and a bigger portion of vegetables. I assume you make your own breakfast and lunch, so you can control what you eat in that sense. And try to snack on fruits, veggies, nuts (nuts have quite a lot of good fat so don't eat too many). Plenty of fruits, vegs and water. Less carbs, fat and sugar. Swap sugary drinks for water. Swap unhealthy snacks for fruit and vegs. Cut down on carbs.

In terms of exercise, cardio, cardio, cardio! That can be as simple as going for a run. Or just type into youtube or google, "cardio exercises" or "fat burning exercises".

https://www.youtube.com/user/StrawberryRipples this girl lost 50lbs and she does great videos such as exercises you can do, food to eat etc.

Some other ways she suggests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJHp-D7XL0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELOJ9riUtFM

ReputationRep:
    Swimming is very good exercise.

ReputationRep:
    Lifting

ReputationRep:
    Take up boxing. It'll give you a KILLER bod.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganhallett)
    I tried boxing last night and it was actually really good

ReputationRep:
    Does this apply to girls too?

ReputationRep:
    Cardio and weight training. Eat better, work out more and just stick to it, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katbob)
    Does this apply to girls too?
    Of course!! Great for toning your arms and abs, plus its cardio and super fun

ReputationRep:
    Sports, football, tennis, boxing etc... It essentially has to be cardio and sport is much more interesting and sociable than running on a treadmill in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Of course!! Great for toning your arms and abs, plus its cardio and super fun
    Tbh I just want a flatter stomach or even lose an inch as well as losing abit of flab from inner thighs...
    Plus its Ramadan atm.

Is there any recommendations?
    I also would like to become physically stronger, and improve my core. I'm guessing boxing would help with that?
    But would little exercises like sit ups, proper pushups, squats etc help with that?

ReputationRep:
    Kickboxing, 600-700 calories a workout if you train hard and it works all your whole body. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I just want a flatter stomach or even lose an inch as well as losing abit of flab from inner thighs...
    Plus its Ramadan atm.

Is there any recommendations?
    I also would like to become physically stronger, and improve my core. I'm guessing boxing would help with that?
    But would little exercises like sit ups, proper pushups, squats etc help with that?
    Yeah having a flatter stomach comes all from eating well - you can do all the sit ups in the world but if your diet isn't right you'll get no where.

Squats are great for losing flab from inner thighs but make sure you squat with weight! Generally you can't spot reduce fat :'( so if you up your cardio you'll tone your stomach and thighs as well as the rest of your bod.

Yes, body weight exercises like push ups are great! Plank is good for core too. If you want to get stronger, add weights! Don't worry about bulking up cause you won't!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah having a flatter stomach comes all from eating well - you can do all the sit ups in the world but if your diet isn't right you'll get no where.

Squats are great for losing flab from inner thighs but make sure you squat with weight! Generally you can't spot reduce fat :'( so if you up your cardio you'll tone your stomach and thighs as well as the rest of your bod.

Yes, body weight exercises like push ups are great! Plank is good for core too. If you want to get stronger, add weights! Don't worry about bulking up cause you won't!
    I'm already short and stumpy as it is won't weights stunt what little height I may have to gain?

Plus I have really manly shoulders I'm not evenl kidding, I don't know wtf it is but they're all like hunched and weird I didn't realise it was as bad as in a picture I recently took :'( and because I have pancakes it looks even worse! D: If I had big DD melons I wouldn't be too fussed tbh.
    Won't weights just make me more bulky from the shoulders?

How do I squat with weight lol? I've never done any kind of weightlifting before do you reckon its worth looking into?

What kinda stuff do you do? You must have your summer bod by now I take it

Oh wait seeming as I'm fasting that means I'll get rid of my belly right?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm already short and stumpy as it is won't weights stunt what little height I may have to gain?

Plus I have really manly shoulders I'm not evenl kidding, I don't know wtf it is but they're all like hunched and weird I didn't realise it was as bad as in a picture I recently took :'( and because I have pancakes it looks even worse! D: If I had big DD melons I wouldn't be too fussed tbh.
    Won't weights just make me more bulky from the shoulders?

How do I squat with weight lol? I've never done any kind of weightlifting before do you reckon its worth looking into?

What kinda stuff do you do? You must have your summer bod by now I take it

Oh wait seeming as I'm fasting that means I'll get rid of my belly right?!

1) I am the exact same!! I have very broad shoulders (and short) so just avoid exercises that focus on that area such as shoulder press and rows. Opt for lighter weights (around 3kg ish) and hit your biceps and triceps. You'll just tone and won't get bulky.

2) I am sure you look GREAT, don't be so hard on yourself. FYI - chest press will give you more lift in that area (google all these exercises if you're not sure or talk to a trainer at a gym)

3) Squatting with weight means you add a barbell (long pole with two very large disks on the end). This is amazing for building a killer bum, but should be done with a professional or at least make sure your squat form is right first. - deffo worth looking into. Also try sumo squats (without weights) for inner thighs.

4) I try and do some type of cardio most days (usually 5-6 times a week) including running, swimming (love) and boxing. I lift weights and squat about 3-4 times a week. I've just started squatting 60KG so usually that takes a lot of recovery time.

5) Be careful once you're finished fasting that you do not go crazy and eat loadss - you're body will hold onto that fat. So take it slow and ease back into eating well and your stomach will stay flat.

Hope that helps xx

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, carbs such as rice, pasta, potatoes are not going to make you fat.
    Secondly, do you want to just lose weight or lose weight and put muscle on? If the former, then cardio is great e.g cycling, running, swimming. If the latter, weight focused but do cardio for your overall health. More guys on here will be able to talk to you about lifting

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.