Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

moving from a private school to state school at 14 years old Watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently moved to a well-known prestigious private school and although its a very good school I absolutely hate it and don't fit in at all. I'm starting GSCEs next year, would it be stupid to move to my local state school where I would fit in more (and enjoy it) but not get as much academic opportunities and help as I do now?

ReputationRep:
    No, it wouldn't be stupid. If you're unhappy you're likely not to fulfill your potential anyway. Your well being comes first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    No, it wouldn't be stupid. If you're unhappy you're likely not to fulfill your potential anyway. Your well being comes first.
    Thank you! but I'm really scared about approaching my parents about this again because they were really angry last time I brought it up, telling me that I'm stupid about giving up the opportunities I have it this school and how others would kill to send their daughters here.

ReputationRep:
    Thank God I never had such parents. Not much you can do other than rebel if they refuse your move. So try and get a move failing that start causing grief !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nci_X)
    Thank you! but I'm really scared about approaching my parents about this again because they were really angry last time I brought it up, telling me that I'm stupid about giving up the opportunities I have it this school and how others would kill to send their daughters here.
    Yea convincing the parents will be a whole other matter entirely. If you're sure it's the right thing for you though, write down all your reasons and tell them calmly etc how miserable you are and why, and how you're not going to be able to grasp the opportunities if your confidence and mental health suffers. Promise you'll do your best to be amazing at state school too, and note that Oxbridge etc openly like applicants from state schools. Might also want to tell them to put the money they'll save into the bank to fund your uni and masters so they can see you're thinking ahead and not just trying to get off easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightOwl1985)
    Thank God I never had such parents. Not much you can do other than rebel if they refuse your move. So try and get a move failing that start causing grief !
    Hahaha they aren't that bad! They just want the best for me in terms of my education but I think they just need to accept that I'm not happy and I'm not going to do well at school if I'm feeling like this. Thank you for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    If you study somewhere you are comfortable with you're more likely to do better. If the state school is decent and you're a good student, there's no reason why you couldn't do just as well there. I went to a state school before attending sixth form college and it hasn't limited my opportunities at all. Perhaps the teaching is a little better at a private school, but at the end of the day, the amount of effort you put in and the time you invest into your studies is what will get you the grades.

If you really want to move schools, perhaps sit down and discuss it with your parents, and help them to understand your reasons why you want to move schools because if you don't broach the subject with them again, then you won't be able to move even if you want to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nci_X)
    Hahaha they aren't that bad! They just want the best for me in terms of my education but I think they just need to accept that I'm not happy and I'm not going to do well at school if I'm feeling like this. Thank you for the advice!

Well clearly they don't! So upon knowing their son I unhappy they do what exactly? Is there more to you getting an alleged better education on their minds?

At your age your still at the heel. Start attacking the heel and use your age to your advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Yea convincing the parents will be a whole other matter entirely. If you're sure it's the right thing for you though, write down all your reasons and tell them calmly etc how miserable you are and why, and how you're not going to be able to grasp the opportunities if your confidence and mental health suffers. Promise you'll do your best to be amazing at state school too, and note that Oxbridge etc openly like applicants from state schools. Might also want to tell them to put the money they'll save into the bank to fund your uni and masters so they can see you're thinking ahead and not just trying to get off easy.
    yeah, they seem to think all universities will be more likely to accept you if you went to a good school which I think is complete *******s! but I think your right, I will tell them about my low self-esteem/confidence and how my grades have dropped while I have been at this school.

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving to a private school for sixth form as I came from a troublesome secondary school. What aspects of the private school did you hate? Also, I feel I had to work a lot harder for my GCSEs than my private school counterparts for example I had to reach myself the entire biology spec cuz my teacher couldn't.

(Original post by samba)
      if only I'd known this in October

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by + polarity -)
      if only I'd known this in October
      :console:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.