Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What sort of life skills do people acquire at university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    People always say that the difference between someone who did and didn't go university is that the former gets to have many new experiences and learn new skills. Any examples/experiences would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Aside from the obvious fending-for-yourself stuff. There's a lot of organisation and motivation that goes into studying for a degree as well as the HUGE range of societies and sports clubs you can join to try new things. I would never be able to afford to do archery if I didn't do it through uni and through being a committee member I've organised competitions and this year I'm learning a lot about maintenance of archery equipment.

Obviously you should primarily be at uni to study but the atmosphere is completely different to the rest of life.

ReputationRep:
    I feel I have gained from my experience, and still do, in a no of ways;
    Ability to write well (when can be bothered :P), written and verbal communication, co-operation, gain knowledge and skills (general and specific), and probably most importantly the ability to critically evaluate and analyse, and to question all of your surroundings that you would perhaps otherwise take for granted. It also gives you a good understanding of the depth of the collective human knowledge in a specific area - allowing you to contribute to it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really good at guessing the time/temperature to cook frozen food from Iceland

ReputationRep:
    There are all the independent living skills like budgeting, cooking, negotiation (with landlords and housemates), paying bills etc.

Academically there's the self discipline required to get through a degree when no one will particularly care if you don't hand in an assignment (you'll just fail), the ability to write long essays coherently, to read and comprehend academic journals, to criticise the literature, give presentations, reference etc. Ultimately, however, it's what one other member on here refers to as a "trained brain" that employers are looking for when they hire a graduate (alongside the other things like work experience!)

Socially there's the opportunity to try new things (I took up a fairly niche sport at uni, for instance), make new friends, live with friends, meet people from lots of different backgrounds, broaden your horizons and generally have a lot of fun.

Then there are all the other random things that are only really things that happen at uni eg fundraising for charity by entering a competition to see who can get the furthest away from your uni without spending a penny within 24 hours (people have got to New York before - google Jailbreak!) to joining a rather unusual society (I've seen everything from knitting to korfball as societies), as well as things like studying abroad for a semester or year.

I also tend to think that uni instills a certain confidence in people - when you've done all of the above you tend to be a bit more confident in yourself, your own abilities and how the world works.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Life skill one, if your going to get really pissed, your gonna have a bad time.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.