Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I recently got offered a job at Waitrose and it's a new branch opening so I don't start training until late July and the branch opens early August.
    My contract is 18 hours and I've already been given my shifts, but I was really hoping for more like 30 hours! I was also hoping to start work earlier.
    I know there will be opportunities for overtime but I also know they're employing A LOT of people so there may not be opportunities at first. Would I be "allowed" to apply for other jobs now (say in Costa or Starbucks or even retail) as long as my shifts don't clash? And do I have to tell Waitrose that I have another employer? Could they fire me/ask me to leave the other place etc? Have tried searching about this online but everything just comes up with information about taxes and stuff.
    If anyone has any information it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks

ReputationRep:
    You CAN work for more than one employer

Sometimes you might not be but generally you'd know about this already but it always helps to see if your employment contract mentions this. So check your paperwork!

With regards to tax- you may find your personal allowance split between the two (or more) jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Jon)
    You CAN work for more than one employer

Sometimes you might not be but generally you'd know about this already but it always helps to see if your employment contract mentions this. So check your paperwork!

With regards to tax- you may find your personal allowance split between the two (or more) jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Realisticlly though if you were to get another job now then by the time you had filled in and submitted an application form , had an interview you wouldnt be starting for a couple of weeks either. As for working two jobs at the same time .. yes i know people who have done this and it is perfectly fine but it might limmit the hours you can do at either place because of ****s at your other job. I know a friend that works in waitrose and myself has had an interview there (didnt get the job , on that occasion ) and they didnt seem like there was alot of overtime (i think you signed up to it on a board) .. but prehaps you might get some come xmas also it is possible to take on the shifts of other staff temporally while they are on holiday.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.