Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Starting Rugby next Year Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I'm 5'9 155lbs/70Kg and 15 years old

Been going to the gym for about 2 months and I'm benching 80kg ( 1RM ) , squatting 110kg ( 3RM ) , and deadlifting 120kg for 5-8 reps

Decided to go to School Rugby training next year and maybe join a club

What position do you think I should play? And do you have any tips for starting Rugby?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrPringles)
    Hey guys

I'm 5'9 155lbs/70Kg and 15 years old

Been going to the gym for about 2 months and I'm benching 80kg ( 1RM ) , squatting 110kg ( 3RM ) , and deadlifting 120kg for 5-8 reps

Decided to go to School Rugby training next year and maybe join a club

What position do you think I should play? And do you have any tips for starting Rugby?
    Yooooo
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    How fast are you? If you've played before what's your kicking/handling like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    How fast are you? If you've played before what's your kicking/handling like?
    Quite fast , but I've literally never played a proper game before

Was good at tag lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrPringles)
    Quite fast , but I've literally never played a proper game before

Was good at tag lol
    Probably a full back/centre then depending how you grow and how quick you are, but if you show good kicking and handling you could be a scrum half/fly half.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your skills. How fast are you? Handling, kicking, tackling, rucking capability. Considering the age group either a flanker or a winger but bit of a blind guess with the information you gave us.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say winger, it's the position with the least responsibility and where running fast in a straight line is most advantageous

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    Probably a full back/centre then depending how you grow and how quick you are, but if you show good kicking and handling you could be a scrum half/fly half.

(Original post by MrSupernova)
    I'd say winger, it's the position with the least responsibility and where running fast in a straight line is most advantageous
    Playing back 3 is a terrible idea if you don't know what you're doing. Wing/full backs who don't understand the game get wrecked at any sort of decent standard, even schoolboy.

I'd say flanker tbh. He sounds pretty big for his age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Playing back 3 is a terrible idea if you don't know what you're doing. Wing/full backs who don't understand the game get wrecked at any sort of decent standard, even schoolboy.

I'd say flanker tbh. He sounds pretty big for his age.
    School standard tends to be awful, believe me... Throughout school I was a skinny little kid who could run fast and loved watching rugby, but didn't start playing until Y9. My tackling was atrocious, but by the time they've got to you at full back they've already got past the big guys and have built up momentum, so only the people who really know what they're doing would have had much chance of stopping them anyway. If the people in front of them are good enough, a weak full back shouldn't be exposed too often. Whenever I got the ball I just hoofed it long or ran back into the crowd (which was difficult at first, as I was a chronic trench digger - when playing football you're taught to avoid where everyone else is, so it's a culture shock). So yeah, I was one of two crap players on the team, but we still won the regionals a couple of times. The other one played as a forward (think he was a flanker), and I'd say his ineptitude cost us more than mine did, cos our scrums were always weaker on one side and he was useless in rucks, just got in the way

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For your age you sound pretty big and strong so I deffo think back row. Like someone else said. Back 3 for a newbie is potentially disastrous as you (arguably) need to be better at reading the play, taking highballs and kicking. Same with centre and of course the half's. That's not to say if you really want to play in the backs you can't, you may be really good. I'm just going by your stats and the fact your a newb. You may find it more fun with less responsibility playing blindside flanker for instance. Tbh at school level it's all much of a muchness. Just enjoy yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd recommend flanker or centre. As you sound pretty strong, if your quick as well then you should hone in on inside centre (but as I'm a forward I'm biased). If your hands are good start off in centre because the technique for rucks, mauls, scrums and line outs can take a bit of learning for someone new to the game. It's good to here your starting playing tho
    Don't stop going to the gym tho, the players only get bigger, I'm at uni now and if your not big enough injuries just don't stop coming

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrSupernova)
    School standard tends to be awful, believe me
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Considering schoolboy rugby is the lifeblood of the sport...I don't think you can say that. Well, I suppose...generally it's not brilliant but better than clubs anyway.

On topic: I don't see why OP couldn't play centre...provided you work hard on ball skills, defence and reading play. If not you definitely have the strength for flanker.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend a forward position; depending on how committed you are to rugby either flanker or (if your school is not very good/they need one) hooker; I was the same height and weight (can't remember lifts) at that age, and until sixth form scrummaging is not that difficult. I know it's quite a technical position but to be fair rugby is a technical sport and you need to be able to read the game better at flanker.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.