Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how people enrolled are paying for those programs. I figured I could get a partial loan from the government (I'm EU, not UK citizen), but found out they're just for undergrad and comparable diplomas.

I have some private options, but I'd just like to know if anyone has any hot tips. (will be for the MSc in Strategy & Economics for Business)

ReputationRep:
    I am just going to burn all the money I saved working this year on my Imperial MSc .

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for the Masters Support Scheme (which awards fees and £5k stipend on the basis of household income and 'academic excellence') but don't at all expect to get anything from it because my final year grades were not great.

So yeah, I've saved up money over my undergrad and working over the summer to cover most of the fees, I'll have to work part time during my course for rent and living costs and my lovely generous parents will pick up the shortfall.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for the Masters support scheme as well. No savings or generous parents, so it's that or nothing for me.

Student funding is a bit cagey on what qualifies as 'academic excellence'. They said a first should see you get it, but even that's no gaurantee.

ReputationRep:
    Got funding awarded for my masters- wahey!

I hope the rest of you that applied get the same.

ReputationRep:
    Too bad I couldn't get that since I'm international

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xenophile)
    I've applied for the Masters support scheme as well. No savings or generous parents, so it's that or nothing for me.

Student funding is a bit cagey on what qualifies as 'academic excellence'. They said a first should see you get it, but even that's no gaurantee.
    Well, I definitely won't be getting it then... I was hoping to scrape a first, but my final exams didn't go as well as I thought they had, so I didn't.

I emailed them about what qualifies as 'academic excellence' too and they were even vaguer with me and said even if you had lower grades to apply and you might still have a chance at being awarded funding. Lying, clearly. :rolleyes:

I can tell I'm going to have a fun year seeing just how little I can possibly live on...

Congrats on your funding though, you must be so happy (and relieved!). What course are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    Well, I definitely won't be getting it then... I was hoping to scrape a first, but my final exams didn't go as well as I thought they had, so I didn't.

I emailed them about what qualifies as 'academic excellence' too and they were even vaguer with me and said even if you had lower grades to apply and you might still have a chance at being awarded funding. Lying, clearly. :rolleyes:

I can tell I'm going to have a fun year seeing just how little I can possibly live on...

Congrats on your funding though, you must be so happy (and relieved!). What course are you doing?
    It is a massive relief.

I read somewhere they make awards in several rounds, so I wouldn't give up all hope just yet. Fingers crossed for a pleasant surprise.

I got quite an unpleasant one when I started looking at London rents! :eek:

I'll be studying viruses, you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xenophile)
    It is a massive relief.

I read somewhere they make awards in several rounds, so I wouldn't give up all hope just yet. Fingers crossed for a pleasant surprise.

I got quite an unpleasant one when I started looking at London rents! :eek:

I'll be studying viruses, you?
    I'm studying Taxonomy and Biodiversity. I'm really excited because it's joint with the Natural history museum and it is like the perfect course for what I want to do.

Yeah, rent in London is like more than double what currently spend. I'm hoping to find a fairly cheap houseshare though, there are some around, (and there's no way I can afford it otherwise, I need to be able to cover my rent with my job at least-the good thing is I can get a transfer with my current job so that makes things a lot easier).

I haven't given up all hope, but I'm going on not expecting to get anything and planning accordingly, and then I'll be less disappointed when I don't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.