Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I went to the open day today and King's really stood out for me.

The only issue with it I had is the length (and seemingly more difficult) admissions process for Engineering at King's.

Most colleges have tests at interview or a sixty minute test before the interview (although most of these colleges have two interviews). King's has 'only' one interview but also has a two-hour maths and physics test and a 30-minute seminar followed by a 30-minute test.

I just worry about what kind of material this will be testing, as well as the difficulty - I'd imagine it's a lot easier to mess up during this and ruin your chances of entry prior to even being interviewed.

Surely there is a more limited amount of stuff that can go wrong in a short interview at other colleges, especially with prompting from the interviewers? Anything could happen during a two-hour test. Then again, everyone's going through the same thing...

Is it worth avoiding it simply because it's a more arduous process of entry? I have always thought of myself as good at interviews so alternative colleges might be more suitable, although I am attending MAT lessons at my school which should help with the maths tests.

Any insight from King's students/offer holders, particularly engineers?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenith)
    So I went to the open day today and King's really stood out for me.

The only issue with it I had is the length (and seemingly more difficult) admissions process for Engineering at King's.

Most colleges have tests at interview or a sixty minute test before the interview (although most of these colleges have two interviews). King's has 'only' one interview but also has a two-hour maths and physics test and a 30-minute seminar followed by a 30-minute test.

I just worry about what kind of material this will be testing, as well as the difficulty - I'd imagine it's a lot easier to mess up during this and ruin your chances of entry prior to even being interviewed.

Surely there is a more limited amount of stuff that can go wrong in a short interview at other colleges, especially with prompting from the interviewers? Anything could happen during a two-hour test. Then again, everyone's going through the same thing...

Is it worth avoiding it simply because it's a more arduous process of entry? I have always thought of myself as good at interviews so alternative colleges might be more suitable, although I am attending MAT lessons at my school which should help with the maths tests.

Any insight from King's students/offer holders, particularly engineers?

Cheers.
    I'm neither of those things, but you shouldn't be afraid of the more complicated admissions procedures. It's best to think of them in terms of giving you an opportunity to demonstrate your aptitude, and if you're right for the course they'll take you. Colleges that have fewer procedures will lean more heavily on things like exam results and the personal statement, so it's very unlikely that the interview would matter much more anywhere else.

The interview and the tests are all about them finding out whether you're right for the place. You're probably right that the tests would be quite uncomfortable, but then they're meant to be tricky for everyone, so you wouldn't be at a disadvantage.

On an unrelated point, interviews that seem to have gone badly have often gone really well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.