Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Underrated films Watch

ReputationRep:
    Name films that you think don't get as much appreciation as you think they should.

There are so many for me but some I can remember off the top of my head right now are:

Half Nelson
    It's Kind of a Funny Story
    Disconnect
    Mean Creek
    Blue Valentine
    Chronicle

There are probably more but I can't remember.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Wayne's World
    Mad Max 1 & 2
    Anything by Danny Boyle.

ReputationRep:
    Take Shelter
    The Great Gatsby

ReputationRep:
    Monsters
    Jacob's Ladder
    The Sacrifice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malena123)
    Name films that you think don't get as much appreciation as you think they should.

There are so many for me but some I can remember off the top of my head right now are:

Half Nelson
    Disconnect
    Mean Creek
    Blue Valentine
    Chronicle

ReputationRep:
    I'm was disappointed that Skyfall and Philomena didn't do better at the Oscars and Baftas. Particularly Judi Dench who was wonderful in both.

ReputationRep:
    The Fountain is an amazing film so emotional

ReputationRep:
    Intouchable (French)

ReputationRep:
    Intouchables is amazing. its happy ,sad and funny. I find In Bruges very underrated movie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malena123)

Half Nelson
    Disconnect
    Mean Creek
    Blue Valentine
    Chronicle

Those films are all really highly regarded! I wouldn't call them underappreciated. Perhaps under-seen? I know more people should watch Half Nelson, so he loses the "just a pretty face" mantel he's been saddled with.

Fittingly, I think Only God Forgives is really under-rated. It got booed heavily at Cannes and critically annihilated, but it's such a tense, atmospheric and terrifying film. Not a groundbreaking masterpiece of cinema necessarily, but it did more for me than most films of last year.

ReputationRep:
    The Seasoning House.

Definitely only a urmmm... Select few would be interested shall we say, it's very violent. Physically and sexually. However I must say it is one of the greatest films I have ever watched, and lead character Rosie Day also put in one of the best performances I have ever seen.

If you're into the more disturbing horrors definitely worth a watch
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1555093/

ReputationRep:
    I found The Seasoning House very difficult to watch. It's far too graphic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Funny People
    I really think this is a great movie, people seem to be very bothered by it and I don't know why. I think the explanation that everybody uses is that it's because it's a "serious" Judd Apatow and Adam Sandler movie, but whatever. I think it's really great, and funny. I grew up on Adam Sandler movies, I still love a lot of the early ones -- this is one of his best, but I think Punch-Drunk Love might be my favourite of his.

Who's That Knocking
    This is Scorsese's first movie, and it's great. I know he doesn't like it -- he thinks it's sloppy and it is. But I like it. It works for this, it's kind of like Shadows -- it's so rough technically that becomes a sort of style and after a while you just forget about it. Though, there is a random orgy sequence in the middle of the film that Scorsese had to shoot to get it in theaters, so that's the only point in the film where you're like -- what the **** is going on?

I was also going to mention: 'Drive, He Said' which is a film directed by Jack Nicholson, which is really good and kind of odd. It's a great film that feels like it has scenes missing from it, if you see it you'll get what I mean. There are some really great things in this film, specifically the scene at night, in the house, with Karen Black, and there's a man after her.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The Room, such drama and emotion, especially that 'cheep-cheep chicken' scene.
    A film deserving of applause:grin:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasa)
    :yep: It was a great film, was disappointed when I discovered they weren't going to make any more.

(Original post by DeclanCochran)
    Those films are all really highly regarded! I wouldn't call them underappreciated. Perhaps under-seen? I know more people should watch Half Nelson, so he loses the "just a pretty face" mantel he's been saddled with.

Fittingly, I think Only God Forgives is really under-rated. It got booed heavily at Cannes and critically annihilated, but it's such a tense, atmospheric and terrifying film. Not a groundbreaking masterpiece of cinema necessarily, but it did more for me than most films of last year.
    Only God Forgives was a terrible & somewhat disturbing film. Not even disturbing in a haunting-artsy way, just constant gore and gross themes throughout the film. Especially the relationship of the mom and Ryan Gosling.. :puke: a lot were excited for the film as Drive was awesome considering the production costs and process. Whereas this film was just bleh, lacklustre plot & script. Of course you may have enjoyed it, but I think it was deserving of criticism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    :yep: It was a great film, was disappointed when I discovered they weren't going to make any more.

Only God Forgives was a terrible & somewhat disturbing film. Not even disturbing in a haunting-artsy way, just constant gore and gross themes throughout the film. Especially the relationship of the mom and Ryan Gosling.. :puke: a lot were excited for the film as Drive was awesome considering the production costs and process. Whereas this film was just bleh, lacklustre plot & script. Of course you may have enjoyed it, but I think it was deserving of criticism.
    Ah see the fact that it was so disturbing was what I loved about it. I hate it when you're watching a film, and the violence is presented as "cool" and "awesome", like how Tarantino does it. Violence is horrible and should be shown that way, and the violence in this film was truly horrific. The fact that it was also kinda beautiful added to the impact, because it made me want to look at the same time as shielding my eyes. I feel the same way about films like Irreversible, and a Serbian Film. The violence is nasty, but it should be.

I also found the whole mum thing really sad and moving, their whole relationship. Not disturbing, just quite tragic. If you want to see a disturbing mother/son relationship, watch the film "Spanking The Money" (it is a very good film, but it goes places where OGF doesn't).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (In my opinion)

- Felicia's Journey
    - The Firm
    - Falling Down
    - Lost
    - Breakdown

ReputationRep:
    Big Fat Liar and Good Burger.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.