Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wanting to apply for Graduate entry Medicine 2015, need some advice Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wandering if someone could help. I'm in my 3rd year Bio-med and wanted to apply for graduate entry medicine. Despite not having any official predictions for my final year, should I start my UCAS application anway?
    Also with regards to work experience can someone advice me on what else I should do, so far I have done the following:
    Volunteering at the hospital (6 months), shadowing a consultant (a week), working at a nursing home (3 weeks), volunteering at the local autistic support centre (3 weeks). I also have some non-healthcare related experience working with under-privileged children on a youth and community development project. Any advice on anything else I should try and do. What are the qualities med-schools look for in a graduate applicant?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! If you are on track for a 2.1 or first i would go for it it sounds like you have got a good variety of work experience you can reflect on. They generally look for evidence of leadership, team work, empathy and communication skills. You need to research what universities you are interested and their entry requirements/what they look for in their candidates and what their UKCAT/GAMSAT cut off score is. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spiggy)
    Hi! If you are on track for a 2.1 or first i would go for it it sounds like you have got a good variety of work experience you can reflect on. They generally look for evidence of leadership, team work, empathy and communication skills. You need to research what universities you are interested and their entry requirements/what they look for in their candidates and what their UKCAT/GAMSAT cut off score is. Hope that helps.
    Thank you for your reply. Yeah I think I'll start practising some UKCAT questions and researching what universities are most likely to accept me if I get a 2:1

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.