Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of university at the end of my 2nd term in my first year because my depression and anxiety issues made it very difficult to concentrate, and I also became disillusioned with my course.
    I started in September 2013 and the day I last attended was March 15th (give or take a few days).
    However, before dropping out, I requested an internal transfer to another course. So, I didn't attend during term 3. However, I am returning to the same university to do a different course this September.
    Despite not attending during any of term 3, I still got my maintenance loan for that term (£1585). I was stupid enough to believe that I was was free to spend it, because I had been told that I'd still have to pay tuition fees for the term I didn't attend, so I assumed the maintenance loan was mine to keep and that it would just be added to the amount I'd have to pay back when I started earning over £21,000.
    I've since been informed that Student Finance England might take back the maintenance loan for term 3. I've only got about £600 left of the original £1585
    I'm worried that they'll take it back and then I'll be in debt.
    Is it possible for SFE to just let me pay it back along with the rest of my loan at a later date? Or will they demand it to be paid back to them soon?
    I know I was foolish to have spent the money without being 100% sure that I could keep it, but I am very anxious about potentially having a £1100 overdraft in my bank account. Please help
    Also, will any of this effect my application for student finance for my new course?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The best way to get clarification on when your loan overpayment needs to be paid back would be to call us on 0300 100 0607.

This will allow us to verify you and access your account so we can confirm your loan repayment status.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.