The Student Room Group

The Secret Life of Students on Channel 4

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Defos think last week's one was better this wasnt too bad but either

Though does Gemma leave uni or what? Confused ending...

Posted from TSR Mobile
all these kids are so cringe, where are all the normal people?
av u used dat condom yet? x x x x x

hate the show: it's putting me off going this sept.!
hopefully it's not like that in the RG unis...
(edited 9 years ago)
Just watched the first one on 4oD. They all didn't come off that great.

Well, I felt bad for Lauren at first. I'm sure many people here understand how she felt and had problems with the social side of things. Then she obviously became too needy and the guy she was texting got bored of her complaining. Everyone has a moan, but when you're bombarding someone with it, they're probably going to get tired of you. I wasn't surprised to see him stop replying to her. Then she posts attention seeking statuses on Twitter. Someone asks if she wants to talk about it and she throws it back in their face. Can't stand people that do that. According to her, everybody does it. I think she'll find that they don't.

Then we have Josie. The way she talks is pretty irritating. She seems like the typical rah. Her attention seeking came out when she began to say that everybody had pulled on the night out and she hadn't. That's obviously not true. Especially when they've just shown Lauren crying and going home early. I'm sure she said that she didn't understand why people thought that she was attractive. I know that a lot of people have self esteem issues, but she is clearly physically attractive. I find it funny how she seemed to be quite religious, but was happy to have multiple one night stands. Crying. Then the kid calling her and telling her to get checked; I almost died laughing. Couldn't help but question her life beginning tomorrow quote towards the end. I bet she drank her body in alcohol and had a new guy in her bed that weekend.

Aiden was also a serious attention seeker. I guess that was mandatory to be on this show. Everything he did was for attention. He had no problem admitting it and was deluded into thinking everybody was thinking about him. Even his 'haters'. I can't believe there are people like this in real life. They're not thinking about you. They see your videos and laugh at your stupidity. That's it, really. Him having some kind of STI was inevitable. His phone call to Josie and the aftermath was the best part of the episode. Sadly, this is the type of guy that is held up on a pedestal. Not sure why.

The ending did show them in a better light. They still came off badly overall.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ah Gemma with her boyfriend: you can guarantee you will meet people like this at uni. Loads of people will come to uni with a partner back home but there are always a handful whose entire world is devoted to reaffirming that they have a partner at every opportunity. Every conversation refers to the fact and their social media is constructed to show to everyone that they have a partner.

It's completely alienating to others and is a great way of making sure you struggle to make friends. First it shuts everybody else out by making sure they know that your partner is the only thing that really matters and any other friends will come a far second best. But also when you meet other people, if they have a partner themselves they will think...well...I have a partner too and don't go on about it like this, it's a bit pathetic. If they don't have a partner, sometimes they feel a bit lonely, and having someone else go on incessantly about how in love they are is not really a great way of bonding.

It just means that whoever you meet, will find it hard to connect with you. So people that are like this find they "don't really make friends" at uni which then drives them more and more into an insular relationship with their partner, going home every weekend.

The other harsh thing is, when you split up with this partner, everyone else's first thought is LOOOOOOOL even if they make the effort to be sympathetic.
Gemma made me cringe really hard. I'm used to people talking about their relationships with me but in all honesty, it does get slightly boring and annoying. What really annoyed me was when she said she was going to drop out of uni for her boyfriend which made me think what the point really is. People break up and get back together and all that stuff but you shouldn't stop your education over something that may not last.

Helen and Michael were ok, but that Asian girl who just told everyone they were sleeping together was a right cow. They shouldn't have got together so soon though but then again that's their decision.

Jack was decent, the type of guy that would get along with almost anyone, in all honesty he was the one person I really liked in this series so far.

Love the special appearances of Lauren and Aiden :smile:
Original post by dire wolf

hopefully it's not like that in the RG unis...

lol what a ****
So what is she meant to do then keep in her feelings and end mentally unwell like me 24/7

Nightworld1066
It isn't attention seeking in a bad way

Nightworld1066
It's interesting to watch although I find the main people in the first episode grated on me in some way or another. One was a douche and didn't learn his lesson from getting an STD (also, quite needy in a way), the other seemed to have given herself a label of 'Catholic' but was doing things that Catholicism is clearly against and the other I felt sorry for but she kept whining all the time.
Original post by iloveteddy14
So what is she meant to do then keep in her feelings and end mentally unwell like me 24/7

Nightworld1066

I assume you're directing that towards my post. She latched on to the first person that showed her any attention and bombarded him with texts and became very clingy. When you do this and constantly talk about depressing subjects, people aren't going to want to be around you.

Writing attention seeking statuses and then brushing off anybody that asks if you want to talk is annoying behaviour. She complained about being lonely and having nobody to talk to, but rejects people when they offer to listen. She doesn't have to keep her feelings inside all the time. When someone asks if you want to talk after complaining about your life on social media, accept their offer.

This is absolutely attention seeking in a bad way.
But be could of helped talk about something else that's what I do when I am going into a low place, my friend graham allows me to say what I want and then he helps me talk about something else.

Nightworld1066
Why is she so negative in the first place over uni, she's supposed to be happy, relieved and helped with depression.

Nightworld1066
First person I've actually liked so far is Jack!
Gemma seems nice enough and she seems like she's having a hard time but her relationship with Ben is cringey. Her world revolves around him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cringe.
Definitely preferred the first episode, all the relationship stuff was boring. Think Jack's my favourite so far though, he reminds me a lot of guys in my a-level physics class lol.
Original post by LeaX
Definitely preferred the first episode, all the relationship stuff was boring. Think Jack's my favourite so far though, he reminds me a lot of guys in my a-level physics class lol.

me too, Gemma and Helen in the second episode really got on my nerves.
Helen...... Just shake my head. How can you trust him when he slept with you before he finished with his girlfriend. And then after you shagged he left because he had to go see said girlfriend
I think people should give Helen and that guy she got with the benefit of the doubt.

In reality these situations happen because when people arrive at uni with a boyfriend/girlfriend, it's not like they are married, relationships for young people are transitory and sometimes people find someone at uni that they find themselves liking more.

It is easy to say that the guy should have made his mind up quickly and got rid of his girlfriend but these decisions are not easy. Maybe Helen and him will last, maybe they won't, but just because he cheated on his ex girlfriend with her doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be going off looking for other girls - he might have found something in Helen he didn't have before.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I think people should give Helen and that guy she got with the benefit of the doubt.

In reality these situations happen because when people arrive at uni with a boyfriend/girlfriend, it's not like they are married, relationships for young people are transitory and sometimes people find someone at uni that they find themselves liking more.

It is easy to say that the guy should have made his mind up quickly and got rid of his girlfriend but these decisions are not easy. Maybe Helen and him will last, maybe they won't, but just because he cheated on his ex girlfriend with her doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be going off looking for other girls - he might have found something in Helen he didn't have before.

I completely agree! I kind of like Helen :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest