The Student Room Group

Re: *** DENTISTRY Graduate Entry Programme 2015!!!! *** Applicants Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Haha - it was all fine last night. Checked this morning and the extra option of like "Invitation to Interview" is now gone :/ - I remember though when I confirmed it that I was told something about how the confirmation will go through at 19:30 next working day or something ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 341
Soz - its been updated again lol - was borderline panicking. Kings interview on the 28th 11.15am !! woo
Original post by Olderandwiser23
I'm too scared to confirm it now lol

Is biomedical science easier than pharmacy as a course?
Reply 343
Congrats on your Kings interview guys! is this standard or grad entry?
Original post by hamzakhairkhwah

Can't really compare them tbh. I would say biomed is a more useful undergrad degree x
Original post by scuba94
Congrats on your Kings interview guys! is this standard or grad entry?

Grad for me :smile:
Reply 346

It depends whats covered on the course and how its all taught. BMS as a whole massively differs between Universities. I know many medical students who admit that they would never be able to hack it.
Can't really compare them tbh. I would say biomed is a more useful undergrad degree x

Are you saying its more useful in terms of an alternate route to medicine or dentistry?
Original post by rkumar3
It depends whats covered on the course and how its all taught. BMS as a whole massively differs between Universities. I know many medical students who admit that they would never be able to hack it.

Yeh thats a good point. Do you think that pharmacy would be a harder course because it involves mainly chemistry and chemistry is a harder subject to get your head around it than biology?
Are you saying its more useful in terms of an alternate route to medicine or dentistry?

No in terms of work. Pharmacy you have to do a year reg training to actually work as a pharmacist. You can work in science straight away after biomed (not as an nhs biomed) so for whatever reason you don't get into dentistry/medicine you can still get a job, and if you do get in, you can work part time.

I would argue you learn more relevant material if you go to a good uni too though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 350
Yeh thats a good point. Do you think that pharmacy would be a harder course because it involves mainly chemistry and chemistry is a harder subject to get your head around it than biology?

It just depends how your mind works. Alot of my BMS degree was developmental biology, Anatomy, Pharmacology and clinical recognition of disease. there was a hell of alot of chemistry but not so much biology. Pharmacy has alot of maths in it.
No in terms of work. Pharmacy you have to do a year reg training to actually work as a pharmacist. You can work in science straight away after biomed (not as an nhs biomed) so for whatever reason you don't get into dentistry/medicine you can still get a job, and if you do get in, you can work part time.

I would argue you learn more relevant material if you go to a good uni too though.

Yeh but if i was to apply for dentistry as a graduate entry then i wouldnt have to do that year of pre reg training. Do i have to do pre reg training to work as an nhs biomed? What sort of careers could i get into after graduating in biomedical sciences? I also used to think that there are very low chances of getting a job after studying biomedical sciences, is that right? Please prove me wrong lol as I only have little knowledge of this

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeh but if i was to apply for dentistry as a graduate entry then i wouldnt have to do that year of pre reg training. Do i have to do pre reg training to work as an nhs biomed? What sort of careers could i get into after graduating in biomedical sciences? I also used to think that there are very low chances of getting a job after studying biomedical sciences, is that right? Please prove me wrong lol as I only have little knowledge of this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but you might not get in to dentistry first time round after graduation in which case you need to get a job. Which you can't do if you haven't don't your pre reg year for pharmacy. You can get a biomed job straight away with out extra training though.

To be an nhs biomed you do need extra training. But there are loads of other biomed science jobs you can do with out the training. Eg I work as a research scientist for a university and it took me about 3 weeks to find a job. So very easy.
Yes but you might not get in to dentistry first time round after graduation in which case you need to get a job. Which you can't do if you haven't don't your pre reg year for pharmacy. You can get a biomed job straight away with out extra training though.

To be an nhs biomed you do need extra training. But there are loads of other biomed science jobs you can do with out the training. Eg I work as a research scientist for a university and it took me about 3 weeks to find a job. So very easy.

Yeh thats true. Wow 3 weeks after graduation?? Thats amazing. I think you have convinced me to study biomed instead of pharmacy lol. I have already applied for pharmacy though and got all my offers so im guessing i will have to apply to biomed through clearing then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh thats true. Wow 3 weeks after graduation?? Thats amazing. I think you have convinced me to study biomed instead of pharmacy lol. I have already applied for pharmacy though and got all my offers so im guessing i will have to apply to biomed through clearing then

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah probably, it's up to you but I definitely think it's a more useful degree when you know you wanna apply for post grad medicine/dentistry
Yeah probably, it's up to you but I definitely think it's a more useful degree when you know you wanna apply for post grad medicine/dentistry

Yeh thanks for all the help
Yeh thanks for all the help

No probs x
Just in case the UCLan applicants were wondering the train to Accrington from Preston takes about 40 minutes just passed through there on the way to Leeds :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interview for undergrad at qmul :smile:
I've got my UCLAN interview tomorrow morning and I have the flu :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest